Preventing full reload

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    NeomaD
    Participant

Sometimes, whem the connection between my NAS and the computer running firefly is broken. Eg. when i turn them of over night or so…

When restarting FireFly does a full database reload (about 30min – 1h) (15k songs).

Why?

Can I prevent it? So it starts with the old database?

/Regards Martin Stegmark, Sweden

stretch
    Participant

The latest nightlies have the option to disable the initial start up scan.

I’m assuming that firefly is on the PC & music is on the NAS?

Also, what’s your rescan time set to?

fizze
    Participant

There’s more.
    You can specify an option that will surpress the DB vacuum that is done during the init. This along with no startup-scan tremendously speeds up the startup time on NAS’ 😉

I believe it was startup_scan = 0 iirc

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

There’s more.
    You can specify an option that will surpress the DB vacuum that is done during the init. This along with no startup-scan tremendously speeds up the startup time on NAS’ 😉

I believe it was startup_scan = 0 iirc

It’s general/quick_startup=1 to suppress the vacuum.

That is, in the config file add the line “quick_startup=1” in the [general] section. It can’t be added via the web interface, it’s a super secret double-probation config entry.

The other option is the “skip first scan” option you can set in the web config.

NeomaD
    Participant

Ok, I do not run the latest nightly, im using the latses stabele release.

It seems like after I added quick_startup=1 it does not scan the files at startup…

..right now its doing a forced full scan because it erased the old songs db at last startup…

I could not figure out how to add it via the webinterface…
    …but notepad and mt-daap.cfg worked!

Ill be back if this dont do the trick.

//Thx for the help so far. Martin Stegmark

NeomaD
    Participant

Why do Firefly continue to do full reloads?!?!?

The songs.db is 19Mb… why do it flush it and start all over again???

Itr does this when my NAS is offline. How do I prevent it???

It should just tell me:

“Your songs db looks really great! But I cant find the media” Thats the kind o messege I want when it dont find the mediafolder Ive specified…
    …now it flushes the whole db and start over again and it takes about an hour before I can listen to my songs…

And, by the way, it dont sees all the songs in the dir…
    …is this a known issue?

Plzzz tell me that this is going to get around, I DONT want to get stuck with mediplayer or iTunezzz

Regards Martin

fizze
    Participant

What NAS are you using?

Ever thought of running firefly ON your NAS?

NeomaD
    Participant

Im running a LaCie ethernet dic mini (not the Gigabit version that hava a built in media server).

Yes, I have been thinking of that, but even if I come to that conclusion, Firefly should STILL NOT just flush the db because it cant find any media in the place ive specified.

It should report the error and ASK me if it should flush and scan the area again…

//Martin

rpedde
    Participant

@NeomaD wrote:

Yes, I have been thinking of that, but even if I come to that conclusion, Firefly should STILL NOT just flush the db because it cant find any media in the place ive specified.

Of course it should. If you don’t have any media in the place you’ve specified, then by definition it isn’t there. It can’t play if someone connects anyway, so there is no point in having it in the library.

If you don’t want it to work that way, then don’t start the server when the music isn’t there. Set the service up to run manually, and only run it when you’ve turned on your nas, or use the switches listed here to defer scanning.

I’d also take a patch that works across all platforms, including headless ones, to make it work in a manner you feel more appropriate.

— Ron

blamm
    Participant

Hi.

I disagree. If a large percentage (configurable?) of the files are missing then clearly something may be wrong and Firefly should ask first before clearing the DB.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.