Playlist Refresh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andoo

Greetings,

I have been looking through the forums, and I have not seen an answer to this, but maybe I just missed it, so I apologize if I am re-iterating.

I am going to be using mt-daapd in a set up here until we get a full interface on quicktime streaming (if that ever happens). We plan on running this on an Xserve G5 with Tiger Server. I did test it with TIger, and mt-daapd seems to work just fine.

My question is if there’s a way that the play list can refresh? The user who will be dumping music files will absolutely NOT have an admin account on MY server. He will only have access to dump music files and an updated playlist. However I noticed that the playlist won’t update unless I stop and restart mt-daapd, and it seems that only root can restart mt-daapd… hence my problem. When mp3, or m4a files are added, they do appear at the refresh, but not an updated playlist.

Any insight would be helpfull,

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew W. Johnson
    Instructional Support Assistant
    Department of Instructional Computing
    Division of Information Technology
    Stony Brook University
    Melville Main Library, Room S1464
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-3350
    Tel: (631) 632-1824
    Cell: (631) 767-9946
    Fax: (631) 632-1687

Andoo

Ok, I have been able to get it to start up for the non admin user.

This is good and bad:

a) good so the user can start and stop the services him self so the playlists are updated.
    b) bad because we don’t want to stop the server just to update the playlists say in the middle of the day, as students might be connected and listening to the required music for their class. And of course if we get a request from a professor to have new music up ASAP, we need the flexibility to have the playlist update on the fly? Unless it’s not technically possible.

Andrew

Andrew W. Johnson
    Instructional Support Assistant
    Department of Instructional Computing
    Division of Information Technology
    Stony Brook University
    Melville Main Library, Room S1464
    Stony Brook, NY 11794-3350
    Tel: (631) 632-1824
    Cell: (631) 767-9946
    Fax: (631) 632-1687

velociped
    Participant

Andrew,

You do not make mention in your posts, but which version of the daemon are you running – stable or cvs from nightlies? If you are running 0.2.1.1, you may want to pay a visit to this forum thread for some ideas.

Using stable, one could create a so-called “smart” (aka dynamic) playlist based upon a special directory which has been created…say the name of the prof or the class code. The client (student, faculty, whomever) could simply select that playlist for the latest, priority files. A cron script could be created which would periodically scan the directory containing these emergent files and copy them to the primary library. Another script could then reboot the server in the middle of the night and empty these directories…or something along those lines.

The redesigned daemon does not currently support anything but static playlists based upon the iTunes generated XML file. Visit this thread for information on where playlist support is headed under the new implementation paradigm.

Herman

rpedde
    Participant

You could also use path tricks. The easier better way for this to work is with smart playlists, so you can make playlists based on directories… say you have a directory structure like this:

mp3_dir
    +-- Class1
    +-- Class2
    +-- Class3
    +-- Song 1.mp3
    +-- Song 2.mp3
    +-- Song 3.mp3

Then you can set up smart playlists like:

“Class 1” {
    path includes “/Class1/”
    }

“Class 2” {
    path includes “/Class2/”
    }

“Class 3” {
    path includes “/Class3/”
    }

Then you get playlists based on where they are in the directory tree. That’s probably how I would set it up. So long as you have background rescans turned on (or the other user has the admin_pw and can do a rescan in the web interface), then you can achieve what it is you want to.

Shout if this doesn’t make sense.

— Ron

Andoo

Greetings,

Here is the answer to the first question. Yes I am using the last stable release (0.2.1.1). I really don’t want to use a nightly, especially if it’s going into a production environment. Just for info, we hope to have a music streaming solution in place sometime in the summer. So there could be another stable release before this goes live. We are also considering other solutions but at the moment this seems to be the best I have found so far.

I see what you mean with the smart play lists, but I am assuming that if you don’t want to have to modify the playlist, you would have to know in advance which classes/subdivisions would be needed. If not, if a change or update is needed, we would have to stop and restart the server. I will check with the guy who will be doing most of that music uploading/handling professor requests and try to figure out his workflow.

Andrew

velociped
    Participant

…you would have to know in advance which classes/subdivisions would be needed. If not, if a change or update is needed, we would have to stop and restart the server.

Not necessarily. One solution would be to create the directories and playlists; whether or not it is known if they will be utilized. They will exist, if needed. The instructor (or delegate) could be given access to a share mount to the relevant directory and could simply dump any required files. The daemon would pick them up during the next rescan and the rest could continue according to methodology described earlier.

Herman

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.