Playlist folders and smart playlists from iTunes

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Playlist folders and smart playlists from iTunes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PGutbrod

Two things that would be great if implemented in Firefly:

1.) In iTunes you can group playlists within folders and this structure is maintained if I connect from iTunes to iTunes but not if I connect from iTunes to Firefly. Firefly flattens the structure.

2.) Wouldn’t it be a better, if Firefly would label smart playlists from an iTunes XML file as smart playlists instead of labeling them as static playlists. I understand, that Firefly is creating static playlists from the iTunes smart playlists during the XML parsing. So they are actually static playlists but they are dynamically recreated each time the XML is parsed. So in the end they behave exactly like the smart playlists created in Firefly’s web interface. If they behave identically, they should be labeled identically, IMHO.

Peter

rpedde
    Participant

@PGutbrod wrote:

1.) In iTunes you can group playlists within folders and this structure is maintained if I connect from iTunes to iTunes but not if I connect from iTunes to Firefly. Firefly flattens the structure.

This will probably get done. I’m not sure how it will get edited, and I’m not sure how it will work with iTunes parsing, but we’ll see.

2.) Wouldn’t it be a better, if Firefly would label smart playlists from an iTunes XML file as smart playlists instead of labeling them as static playlists. I understand, that Firefly is creating static playlists from the iTunes smart playlists during the XML parsing. So they are actually static playlists but they are dynamically recreated each time the XML is parsed. So in the end they behave exactly like the smart playlists created in Firefly’s web interface. If they behave identically, they should be labeled identically, IMHO.

That might be possible. I’ll have to look and see how they are stored in the iTunes xml file.

bivvy
    Participant

Add my vote to a better structure in Playlists

I would like to organise my music by Genre / Artist or Composer / Album or Work / Track

for my classical music I have set up the following in Itunes:

Classical
    __Elgar
    ____ Elgar: Cello Concerto
    _______ xxxxx
    _______ xxxxx
    ____ Elgar: Enigma Variations
    _______ xxxxx
    _______ xxxxx
    __ Mahler
    ____ Mahler: Symphony No. 8

etc…

But on my Soundbridge it all ends up jumbled up!

There must be a better way of organising / selecting playlists, otherwise how do these people with huge music collections survive?

Thanks

Chris

rpedde
    Participant

@bivvy wrote:

Add my vote to a better structure in Playlists

I would like to organise my music by Genre / Artist or Composer / Album or Work / Track

The soundbridge doesn’t have a way to display hierarchical playlist, I don’t believe. So it won’t work in the soundbridge even if I were to add this to the server side.

bivvy
    Participant

Thanks – also got this from RokuMike, who also pointed out how I can use the genre / artist / etc to better organise my music.

Will experiment to see how I get on.

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.