OpenSlug or DebianSlug to work with mt-daapd

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion OpenSlug or DebianSlug to work with mt-daapd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

I am currently considering to upgrade my unslung 6.7 to an SlugOS version on my NSLU.
    And there are different versions of the SlugOS. Basically big-endian and little-endian.

The “DebianSlug” makes use of the debian feed but is little endian.

The “OpenDebianSlug” makes use of an unofficial debian armeb feed and is big endian.

Now what puzzles me and makes it hard to decide for me is that one the one hand Ron compiles his nighlies big endian, so I would need to use the OpenDebianSlug to use this.

On the other hand the linkpage to OpenDebianSlug on the NSLU2 website states this to be obsolete and recommends the little endian DebianSlug.

So here I am. What would be the best to use? Whats really the advantage of big vs little-endian?

What I want to do with the system is
    – Run it with a small (256 MB) flash disk and a ca. 50 GB ext3 fs on a harddrive to serve the files that aint loaded permanently.
    – Run an encrypted data partition via loopback/blowfish as the 2nd partition. Knowing that this partition will be a bit slower.
    – Run mt-daapd nightly and samba on it mostly. Except that mostly only ssh and otherwise no big plans.

So can someone give me some tips what to do now precisely?

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

So can someone give me some tips what to do now precisely?

I’d try to convince ron to move to DebianSlug.

I have $43 and change in my paypal tip jar. Maybe I can use that to get a new slug. 🙂

mas
    Participant

Well I went ahead and put debian (little.endian) on the NSLU closely following

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

Did work out quite well, though there are a few things I need to sort out.

Also, do you have a non-paypal tip-jar? I have no paypal account and wont ever make one based on my strong antipathy for painpal. But I would feel inclined to support your excellent work so if you can come up with an idea..

And if all else fails I guess good old snail-mail may also work provided you have a stable postal address. 8-;

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

Also, do you have a non-paypal tip-jar? I have no paypal account and wont ever make one based on my strong antipathy for painpal. But I would feel inclined to support your excellent work so if you can come up with an idea..

Truth of the matter is that I don’t really need donations… I just have it for people that seem desperate to pay even after I assure them there is no need.

I didn’t manage to get one this weekend, I’ll try to stop by a best buy sometime this week and pick one up.

— Ron

sansp00
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

I didn’t manage to get one this weekend, I’ll try to stop by a best buy sometime this week and pick one up.

— Ron

Ron, I’d advise in shopping around a bit because up here, the prices varied from ~70$ CAD to 140$CAD for the slug. I do hope to have more info on this distro thing since I am thinking of migrating from unslung to an updated linux distro down the line. Once I get the rest of my gear in shape.

Patrick S.

mas
    Participant

sansp00: I posted my experience migrating to Debian Etch RC1 (little endian). Took me a full weekend more or less to get all going but now its fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.