Odd issue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davesanti
    Participant

So my Slug and FF have been humming along nicely for seveeral weeks. The slug was in a temporary location for testing.

So I unplug it move it to a new location.

At first it doesnt want to boot right double beeps etc..

Anyway it seems to get going sort of..

I have unslung 6.8 to port 1 on mem stick. HDD on port 2.

The Slug has had this issue where it will boot up to internal flash occasionally.. normally a reboot solves it. It has been doing that. When it comes up like that I can bring up the web interface and see it and interact with it.

If I reboot it… it appears to go to normal slung mode.. I see it in my network places but when I click on it I cant get the web interface up.. which means I also cant enable telnet on it.. also FF does not seem to start on a reboot (I have seen this before). Normally I can telnet in and start FF that way.. no prob.

However without the web interface I cant do anything. When I bring the page up it gives me that standard cannot find server.

Here is the odd part. I had installed twonky some time back and it starts up, and I can click on it and brings its web interface up. Which is on the same IP as the Slug with the :9000 on the end. But if I type in the Slub IP without the :9000 no go.. Twonky is running and will serve music but I want to use FF..

Ackkk .. this Slug thing is getting on my nerves.

Dave

davesanti
    Participant

Update:

FF is running… perhaps I hadn’t noticed in thepast that it takes a little bit of time to get started.

I still have the same problem, with the Slug no web interface and no telenet access… without it I cant manage the Slug.. maybe I dont care..

If I type in the Slug IP and add :3689 I get the FF interface. If I type in the Slug IP, no go.

BTW I can ping the Slug and it comes back fine.

Dave

rpedde
    Participant

@davesanti wrote:

Update:

FF is running… perhaps I hadn’t noticed in thepast that it takes a little bit of time to get started.

I still have the same problem, with the Slug no web interface and no telenet access… without it I cant manage the Slug.. maybe I dont care..

If I type in the Slug IP and add :3689 I get the FF interface. If I type in the Slug IP, no go.

BTW I can ping the Slug and it comes back fine.

Dave

The startup delay is the initial scan… that usually takes a while.

As far as the web interface not starting, that’s kind of strange. The web interface should be part of the built-in firmware, and I didn’t think that could be stopped, unless there was a diversion script or something to stop the built-in webserver.

Do you see the thttpd process running with ‘ps auxw’?

davesanti
    Participant

Ron, I am not smart enough to do anything to stop the web interface from running … 😀

I didnt make any changes.. like I said, I moved it and rebooted. I have some new antivirus/firewall software running on one of my computers.

As far as checking fro thttpd process running with ‘ps auxw’.. I can’t telnet into the Slub because it is disabled as a default on bootup.

😥

Dave

rpedde
    Participant

@davesanti wrote:

Ron, I am not smart enough to do anything to stop the web interface from running … 😀

I didnt make any changes.. like I said, I moved it and rebooted. I have some new antivirus/firewall software running on one of my computers.

As far as checking fro thttpd process running with ‘ps auxw’.. I can’t telnet into the Slub because it is disabled as a default on bootup.

😥

Dave

lol!

Hrmph. Not sure what would cause it to go toes-up, then. The only thing I could think to do would be to try ssh (that should be working if you followed the default instructions for unslinging), and seeing if you see anything in the /var/log/syslog file about why the web server wouldn’t start.

I can’t think of what it would be off the top of my head, but if it isn’t starting, it almost certainly logged *something* to the syslog.

— Ron

davesanti
    Participant

Ron, I used the default instructions for unslinging.

I tried Putty to SSH to the Slug and I get either a host does not exist or connection refused.

The weird thing aslo:

It seem that every other time I boot the Slug it doest unsling and goes to running from flash. When it does that I get the web interface.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.