NSLU2 Server w/MP3 Library on TeraStation Pro?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues NSLU2 Server w/MP3 Library on TeraStation Pro?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m using my TeraStation to store all of my FLAC and MP3 files. I’ve got Firefly running on my new NSLU2 server and can serve up music from its local flash drive. I’d like to point the NSLU2 to the TeraStation Pro but have not had any luck. I’ve tried referencing the TeraStation both by it’s IP address \192.168.1.9Music and by the machine name \chansonmusic, but neither is accepted by Firefly. I’ve searched these messages to no avail.

I’m a Linux Noob, so please type slowly and use small words….

richdunlop
    Participant

You could mount your terastation music share (\chansonmusic) to a mount point on your slug using the ‘smbmount’ command. Then point Firefly at the mount point you created. I’m not sure how well this’ll work from a performance point of view. Also, to save you doing this manually each time you reboot your slug you’ll have to investigate writing a startup script. Take a look at the Unslung wiki (I assume you’re running Unslung) for more info in this area.

rpedde
    Participant

@pmorris wrote:

I’m using my TeraStation to store all of my FLAC and MP3 files. I’ve got Firefly running on my new NSLU2 server and can serve up music from its local flash drive. I’d like to point the NSLU2 to the TeraStation Pro but have not had any luck. I’ve tried referencing the TeraStation both by it’s IP address \192.168.1.9Music and by the machine name \chansonmusic, but neither is accepted by Firefly. I’ve searched these messages to no avail.

I’m a Linux Noob, so please type slowly and use small words….

The other option is to nfs export your files from the TeraStation and mount it on the slug, but I don’t know if the TeraStation will export nfs. Might be worth looking through the online communities to see if it will do that.

CCRDude has a TeraStation, I was hoping he might jump in here with some good advice..

CCRDude
    Participant

I have all my music and Firefly on the Kurobox though, sine running Firefly directly on the TheraStation didn’t work too well.

Only with hacks (downloading the firmware, extracting it, chrooting into that, adding telnet and nfs daemon, recompressing the firmware and installing it into the machine) one could get nfs on the TeraStation. Neither that nor replacing the bootloader and installing Debian (that’s what I will do next) is something I would recommend to a Linux Noob. There are “finished” hacked firmware packages out there though. The most promising seems to be these; on the one hand they use Samba 3 instead of Samba 2, on the other hand root telnet access to be able to install a ready NFS package. But that’s still not perfectly noob-friendly (especially the part about NFS, not sure if the newer SMB would already help)… I would keep my eyes open for the OpenTera firmware mentioned in my first link. He intended to have this finished at the end of January, but mentioned he is unsure about the media server (PCcast) due to copyright issues… well, maybe someone should suggest Firefly as the perfect solution for his new firmware? 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to all for the great advice. I have already hacked the TeraStation Firmware and have root access to it.

Using the smbmount command, I can now “see” my music share on my Unslung NSLU2. However, mt-daapd won’t start. It clearly has to do with permissions. I have a “guest” account on the Terastation and I don’t have a read/write restrictions on the share.

Here’s the log.

2007-01-30 07:57:02: Starting rendezvous daemon
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Starting signal handler
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Loading playlists
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Initializing database
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Starting mp3 scan
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Error scanning MP3 files: Permission denied
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Aborting
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    2007-01-30 07:57:02: Aborting

I’ve tried putting my Terastation user id and password into the mt-daapd.conf file as the runas and password with no success. I suspect I will need to create an account on my NSLU2 that matches both user ID and password to an account on the Terastation but don’t understand how that relates the Samba share on the Terastation.

Thanks again for all the help.

CCRDude
    Participant

Hmmm….

mount -t smbfs, or, even better, mount -t cifs (both are to connect to Samba, the later is a newer and improved standard though), should be preferred over smbmount imho.

That said, I remember there was something about uid & gid (user id and group id) parameters when mounting Samba drives imho, to let it know which user & group should “own” the remote files… have you set those correctly?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@CCRDude wrote:

Hmmm….

mount -t smbfs, or, even better, mount -t cifs (both are to connect to Samba, the later is a newer and improved standard though), should be preferred over smbmount imho.

That said, I remember there was something about uid & gid (user id and group id) parameters when mounting Samba drives imho, to let it know which user & group should “own” the remote files… have you set those correctly?

I issued: “smbmount /192.168.1.9/Music /mnt/chanson -o lfs” command. It asked for a password. I entered my password and was surprised to see that it connected since I had no idea what it was using for a user id. Afterwards, I changed to /mnt/chanson and can “ls” all of my files but didn’t do anything more than that.

Until now, all access to the TeraStation has been limited to the Windows box that I use to rip all of my music to FLAC & MP3, so I’ve been insulated from notions of uid & gid. I’ve also been able to get FireFly working from that same Windows box serving the MP3s without difficulty, but the notion of doing it with the NSLU2 is fun and interesting to me.

fizze
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

Hmmm….

thats the umask parameter for the mount command.
    umask=0000 would chown everything to everybody and set 777 to all files.
    in a single user environment, this is rather nice.

For multiuser, ond should fine-tune the unmask settings. it sucks, having to sudo cp blah-di-blah all the time….

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve got it working, now! Thank you Ron & CCRDude for pointing me in the right direction. I’m able to smbmount the TeraStation’s filesystem to the NSLU2. I used the root userid and password and that seems to have solved the problem. I know it’s far from a “best practice” implementation, but in my home it will be just fine.

Now I plan to add some indexes to the database to improve performance when I browse artists or browse albums.

What a great program you’ve written, Ron! It’s just amazing to me that this little NAS can be the foundation of a home media server.

Now…..will this little guy transcode FLAC at an acceptable speed?

rpedde
    Participant

@pmorris wrote:

Now…..will this little guy transcode FLAC at an acceptable speed?

Surprisingly, it seems to work okay, even with an un-de-underclocked slug like mine. I imagine if you de-underclocked it, it would run fine.

Forget about doing anything else with the box while it’s transcoding, though. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.