N5200 MP3_dir scan permissions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gpalmans

Hi all,

I’ve been browsing this forum to find several people having had the same issue I’m facing, but can’t seem to find a working solution.
    I’ve installed the Firefly module on my Thecus N5200, and haven’t been able to get it working the way I want so far…

First, I got an error after installing the module, and after each config change. I’m not too bother about either, as it seems to be a know bug in the 1586 relaese, and it doesn’t seem to be affecting functionality.
    (h**p://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=6777&highlight=mp3dir)

Second, I can’t get my mp3dir setup the way I’d like.
    The only way to make it work is to create a “Public” folder in the “/raid/data” folder.
    E.g: “/raid/data/music”
    If I point it to any other directory within any of my user’s (non-public) folders, Firefly won’t scan the files.
    E.g: “/raid/data/user1/music”

I’ve read in previous posts that the firefly Runas user (default “nobody”) has to have r+x permissions. Doesn’t seem to do the trick.

working
    drwxrwxrwx 2 admin smbusers 4096 Oct 26 09:51 raid/data/music/

not working
    drwxrwx— 6 admin smbusers 4096 Oct 27 01:31 raid/data/user1/
    drwxrwxr-x 3 user1 smbusers 4096 Oct 27 02:25 raid/data/user1/music/

I’ve tried giving o+rx permissons to the “raid/data/user1” folder, no luck either.

I’ve read somewhere else I should try and change the Runas user to “root”. Doesn’t do the trick neither.

I’d be most surpised if it would proove to be impossible to include mp3dirs from different users into the Firefly scans, so I’m thinking there’s still something wrong with my folder permissions.

Has anyone been able to make this setup work, and if so, could he please share how he/she pulled it off?

Thanks,
    G[/u]

rpedde
    Participant

@gpalmans wrote:

working
    drwxrwxrwx 2 admin smbusers 4096 Oct 26 09:51 raid/data/music/

not working
    drwxrwx— 6 admin smbusers 4096 Oct 27 01:31 raid/data/user1/
    drwxrwxr-x 3 user1 smbusers 4096 Oct 27 02:25 raid/data/user1/music/

Look at the permissions on /raid/data/user1.

“Nobody” can’t read the music file inside that. Unless “nobody” is a smbuser.

I’ve read somewhere else I should try and change the Runas user to “root”. Doesn’t do the trick neither.

?

Then it’s not a permissions issue. Then it must be a typo or something.

Has anyone been able to make this setup work, and if so, could he please share how he/she pulled it off?

Seriously, there’s no trick. The user it runs as must have permissions to the files you are asking it to serve. That’s it, as far as permissions go.

A good check for that would be to “su nobody” as root. Walk through the paths that you are asking it to read and make sure you can access them as the nobody (or the user you are using as your “run_as” user).

The problem you are observing *has* to be permissions related or just a simple typo.

Double-check your work, and I think you’ll find it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.