mt-daapd on NSLU2 fails to find music files

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd on NSLU2 fails to find music files

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Sherlock

@hpsenicka wrote:

Which version of mt-daapd did you install?

I am currently using the SVN-1050 version from the nightlies rather than the stable package that is offerred by default through the ipkg process.

I am totally new to all of this, so I followed the Unslung guides to the letter followed by an IPKG UPDATE and then an IPKG INSTALL MT-DAAPD. I have been reading as much as I can find and will try to install the version you have installed after doing an IPKG REMOVE and see if that helps me any.

I have not had time the past year to do anything with my Soundbridge’s other than play music from a dedicated PC which I always felt was a big waste. So I am a year behind on everything. Trying to play catchup.

richo132
    Participant

I also have a USB harddrive on port2 and am using the nightlies.
    I found that the default parms and documentation were not right for my setup.
    1. The mp3_dir location needs to be
    /…/flash/.. and not /…/hdd/..
    – this solved the bad mp3 dir problem for me.

2. the syntax of the logfile parm
    should be logfile = whereever
    – the missing = sign was the cause of bad .conf file message for me

I think it would help to update the sample/default mt-daapd.conf file.

Sherlock

@richo132 wrote:

I also have a USB harddrive on port2 and am using the nightlies.

Could some kind sole give me guidance on how to install a nightly. I have been searching for the procedure for awhile and have not found it.

Thanks for your pointers on the problems you have encountered. At least I feel I am making progress. There is just so much to learn to be able to do all of this.

rpedde
    Participant

@Sherlock wrote:

Could some kind sole give me guidance on how to install a nightly. I have been searching for the procedure for awhile and have not found it.

You should be able to download the ipk file from http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org and move it to your slug (public share, maybe?). You’ll probably need to grab the libao ipk on the top of the page as well.

From the slug, as root, you’ll need to:

root@slug:~# ipkg update
    root@slug:~# ipkg install unslung-feeds
    root@slug:~# ipkg install /path/to/libao...
    root@slug:~# ipkg install /path/to/mt-daapd_svn-....

where the paths to the libao packages and the mt-daapd packages are wherever they got moved to on the slug (/public, maybe?)

Sherlock

@rpedde wrote:

You should be able to download the ipk file from http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org and move it to your slug (public share, maybe?). You’ll probably need to grab the libao ipk on the top of the page as well.

Thanks, Ron. Since I don’t know Linux do you feel I would have a better chance of getting the mt-daapd working that I installed from the Unslung package or are there other reasons to move to the nightlies? It is too late and I am too tired to try more tonight, but I am game to go whichever route you feel best. Based on the comments of richo132 above, if I can correct the mt-daapd.conf file I then may be able to get mt-daapd to work on my configuration.

What is the best (easiest?) way to edit files on the NSLU2? Sorry to be such a Linux newbie in all of this.

Oh yes, I found the post from awhile ago about installing the nightlies so I will have that information also to go on if that is the best route to go.

rpedde
    Participant

Thanks, Ron. Since I don’t know Linux do you feel I would have a better chance of getting the mt-daapd working that I installed from the Unslung package or are there other reasons to move to the nightlies? It is too late and I am too tired to try more tonight, but I am game to go whichever route you feel best. Based on the comments of richo132 above, if I can correct the mt-daapd.conf file I then may be able to get mt-daapd to work on my configuration.

If the stable release works for you, that’s the way to go. If you find that you want the features of a newer release (transcoding, etc), then that’s the way to go.

But it might be easier to get this going first just to get a taste of success. 🙂

What is the best (easiest?) way to edit files on the NSLU2? Sorry to be such a Linux newbie in all of this.

Someone on a previous thread recommended “joe”, which you can install with “ipkg install joe”. Then just “joe /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf” as root to edit it.

Good luck.

— Ron

Sherlock

@rpedde wrote:

Someone on a previous thread recommended “joe”, which you can install with “ipkg install joe”. Then just “joe /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf” as root to edit it.

Oh to be a Linux guru right about now. I did some more searching and then read your suggestion which I agreed with. Joe installed fine, but I can’t find any documentation on how to use it. When I enter your command above, all I get is “joe: no such file or directory”. If anyone has a quick guide to using joe I undoubtedly need the help. IPKG STATUS says joe is installed OK.

Sherlock

Thank god for the “Linux for Dummies” book. When I could not get the Joe editor running, I started poking around. I found the vi editor available and used that to edit the mt-daapd.conf file. At first I still got error messages about not finding the mp3 directory. It finally dawned on me that when I created the directory, I did it in capital letters ‘MP3’. Ah, so this Linux world is case sensitive, hey!!!! So I quickly renamed the directory to ‘mp3’ and redid the chmod followed by the start of mt-daapd and SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

So to recap:
    If you install with the current guidelines of installing a USB drive into Disk 2, the proper command to issue is:
    chmod o+r -R /share/flash/data/public/mp3
    and make sure the ‘mp3’ matches the case of the folder you create.
    Then you need to edit the mt-daapd.conf file to change the information for the location of the mp3 file, again taking care of the case.

Thanks to those who helped me through this. And if anyone can help me figure out why the Joe editor is not working, I would appreciate it.

T&E

Hi Sherlock,
    reading this thread has given me hope that there our others out there in a similar position to myself. Like yourself i want to use my roku soundbidge without a pc. I have no understanding of Unix but have managed to ‘Slug’ my NSLU and unsling a USB stick to disk 2. Now having got the mt-daapd package installed on it (another couple of hours trial and error). I still cant see any music files. The Files are on a usb harddrive plugged in on Disk1 under the directory Name ‘Musik’.
    Having now tried all the suggestions here and still not getting anywhere I am gratefull for any help.

NSLU ver. V2.3R63 and the latest stable version of mt-daapd

Sherlock

@T&E wrote:

Hi Sherlock,
    The Files are on a usb harddrive plugged in on Disk1 under the directory Name ‘Musik’.

The obvious difference between us is that I only have a single USB drive plugged into Disk2 while you have a USB Flash Disk in Disk2 and your music on a USB Drive in Disk1. My understanding is that you would need
    chmod o+r -R /share/hdd/data/public/Musik and make sure the ‘Musik’ matches the case of the folder you create.
    Then you need to edit the mt-daapd.conf file to change the information for the location of the ‘Musik’ folder, again taking care of the case. I think the default configuration file had the …/hdd/… so all you need to change is the ‘mp3’ to ‘Musik’.

Hope this helps and if I am wrong in my assumptions, hopefully someone more skilled in Linux will point it out. The good news is that I am really happy no longer having to dedicate a PC to stream music. And my wife is very happy which always helps!!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.