mt-daapd file-permissions and webmin-login?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd file-permissions and webmin-login?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sue

Hi Board,

I am trying to set up mt-daapd on a NSLU2. I have installed the packet using ipkg install.

(I have just bought the NSLU2, so I do not know my way around it very well. I have unslung it to an USB-disk on Port2, following the instructions on nslu2-linux.org and installed a few packages, ssh, bash etc…)

I can start the server and see it using itunes on my Mac. However I have two problems:

1) MP3s cannot be scanned: mt-daapd is dropping privileges to guest as expected.

MP3-Path is /share/hdd/data/public/mp3/ all directories in path are 755. I have now chmoded the mp3-files 777 and(!) chowned them to guest.

No luck (running daapd -f -c9):

Error statting: Permission denied
    Found /share/hdd/data/public/mp3/alphaville-sensations.mp3

I can find no good description which files mt-daapd will need and what permissions they need to have….

2) I can not login via webmin-interface.
    A server is running on port 3689, it answers an prompts me for a password, but what user-name do i need to log in? I tried admin, root, guest and used the password I set in the -conf as admin_pw.

debug output shows it is the correct password:

Thread 1: Using non-default handler
    Preparing to decode YWRtaW46Tm9jaE5peA==
    Decoded admin:NochNix
    Decoded user=admin, pw=NochNix
    Added *HTTP_USER=admin*
    Added *HTTP_PASSWD=NochNix*
    Added *WWW-Authenticate=Basic realm=”webserver”*
    Thread 1: Entering ws_returnerror (401: Unauthorized)
    Updating Connection from keep-alive to close
    Emitting reponse header WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=”webserver”
    Emitting reponse header Content-Language: en_us
    Emitting reponse header Content-Type: text/html
    Emitting reponse header Server: mt-daapd/0.2.4
    Emitting reponse header Connection: close
    Emitting reponse header Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:45:25 GMT

Please advise…

Thanks
    Sue

Sherlock

@sue wrote:

Hi Board,

I am trying to set up mt-daapd on a NSLU2. I have installed the packet using ipkg install.

Please advise…Thanks
    Sue

I just went through this process myself as a totally non-Linux person. I had some challenges as the setup process for mt-daapd is slightly different from the documentation with the new recommended unslung process to Disk2 for a single USB drive. I tried to document what needs to be changed in this thread: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=4646&start=15

I would recommend trying to change as few things as possible until you get it running. Following the information in the above thread should allow you to get mt-daapd running. Once you have it running, then you can start changing things. Just my 2-cents.

sue

Well I got it working 😆 now.

Problem 1: I was lying.
    Taking a closer look at the filesystem, permissions of …/public were wrong (I chowned it to 755 instead of chmodding it 😳 )
    Totally my mistake. I apologize for wasting people´s time.

Problem 2:
    Also my mistake, but worth a note: whitespaces after a value will not be stripped when key/value-pairs are loaded from the .conf, therefore “password” and “password ” are not the same. This is easy to miss, if you do not expect this behaviour…

Thanks for replying

Sue

Sherlock

@sue wrote:

Problem 2:
    Also my mistake, but worth a note: whitespaces after a value will not be stripped when key/value-pairs are loaded from the .conf, therefore “password” and “password ” are not the same. This is easy to miss, if you do not expect this behaviour…

Sort of like my finding that ‘MP3’ and ‘mp3’ are not the same thing in Linux. Glad you have it working.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.