mt-daapd can’t find database on NSLU2

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd can’t find database on NSLU2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    UK Phil
    Participant

Hi,

Firstly my apologies as I’m new to this and have a distinct lack of knowledge both of Linux and of the NSLU2. What I’m trying to do is make the NSLU2 into an iTunes server so I can use a wireless client (probably a Pinnacle M1000 or M1001)to play music. In the first instance I’m just trying to get mt-daapd running on the NSLU2 and verify it’s all working by using iTunes on my laptop as a client. There’s the background. I’ve installed uNSLUng version 6.8 on to the NSLU2 and unslung it to a 1GB flash drive on UBS port 2 for the moment with the intent of adding a NTFS formatted HDD to the other USB port when I get mt-daapd working.
    I’ve installed mt-daapd using ipkg to the NSLU, I think I’ve put a nightly version on (it identifies itself as svn-1489 in the log file)as the stable release didn’t seem to generated a mt-daapd.conf file for some reason! Anyway the problem I get is that when mt-daapd tries to start up it generates the following in the log file:-

2007-01-24 19:30:36 (00000400): Firefly Version svn-1489: Starting with debuglevel 2
      2007-01-24 19:30:36 (00000400): Starting rendezvous daemon
      2007-01-24 19:30:36 (00000400): Starting signal handler
      2007-01-24 19:30:37 (00000400): db_sqlite2_open: unable to open database: /var/cache/mt-daapd/songs.db (/var/cache/mt-daapd/songs.db)
      2007-01-24 19:30:37 (00000400): Error opening db: Misc SQL Error: unable to open database: /var/cache/mt-daapd/songs.db

I have to say this confuses me on two fronts, firstly why is it looking in “/var/cache/mt-daapd/songs.db” anyway as I’ve specified the path to be “db_dir /share/flash/data/public/database” in the mt-daapd.conf file and secondly why is it complaining about the absence of a file it’s supposed to generate anyway?

Sorry if these seem obvious questions but my limited knowledge has left me struggling at this point.

rpedde
    Participant

@UK Phil wrote:

I have to say this confuses me on two fronts, firstly why is it looking in “/var/cache/mt-daapd/songs.db” anyway as I’ve specified the path to be “db_dir /share/flash/data/public/database” in the mt-daapd.conf file and secondly why is it complaining about the absence of a file it’s supposed to generate anyway?

Looks like an upgrade from stable with the old config format. The format of the config file has changed, and while it will import the old style config file, if you mix new and old style, it will probably prefer the new style.

db_dir isn’t a valid configuration value anymore, it’s now split into “db_type” and “db_parms”.

To make it work, you’ll want to reinstall (with –force, probably), and let it overwrite the config file. Then edit hte config file, as you’ll have a new-style config. Things should probably go more smoothly from there.

Also, the db dir isn’t created any more due to an oversight, really. It had to be moved away from the config parser, and moved to the db itself, and I put it on a “things to do” list and forgot about it, frankly. 😳

— Ron

UK Phil
    Participant

Thanks Ron,

That one had me stumped, I’d tried to reinstall a few times before and ipkg had refused to do it. The key, which surprisingly I’d not seen refered to elsewhere, is to type

ipkg install -force-reinstall mt-daapd

Rather than ‘-force-overwrite’ which is what I’d seen before.

So in conclusion it all appears to work beautifully. Thanks very much indeed. I’m sure I’ll be in touch if any other problems crop up.

Oh one last question; do you know if mt-daapd svn-1489 will work with the Pinnacle M1000, apparently it has daap disabled unlike the Roku M1000?

Regards,

Phil.

sonichouse
    Participant

@UK Phil wrote:

Oh one last question; do you know if mt-daapd svn-1489 will work with the Pinnacle M1000, apparently it has daap disabled unlike the Roku M1000?

The M1000 will talk to firefly over RSP (Roku server protocol).

More facts here

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.