Monkey’s Audio (.ape) Support?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BubbaDog
    Participant

A little faster and a little smaller filesizes than FLAC, but every little bit helps (or so I’ve been told ๐Ÿ˜ณ ).

B’Dog

mas
    Participant

Then alac would also do. Also a bit smaller than flac.

And alac is supported in transcoding. On the Roku Soundbridge beta firmware even native so no transcoding needed – even better.

Only dis is its not a “open source” codec. but it works.

CCRDude
    Participant

If even little bits help, I think flac is friendlier to the CPU when decoding than APE… so while APE helps on the size side, flac would help on the cpu speed side (important for people with NAS)…

Lossless codecs are probably a matter of taste mostly ๐Ÿ˜€

You could just look at adjusting the transcoding scripts though, if you know the ape tools maybe you’re lucky and can provide an easy patch ^^

grommet
    Participant

FLAC 1.1.4 is out, and the improvements continue. (Compression & speed/efficiency.) Since Monkey’s Audio (APE) is primarily a Windows format (and not open source)… I can’t see it ever “winning” over FLAC in the non-vendor specific Lossless world.

I say, stick with FLAC.

CCRDude
    Participant

Here is an old comparison, where APE compression ratio was better. Of course, that was still FLAC 1.1.2, I would guess 1.1.3 (or 1.1.4, which is… well… half-released, not yet on the front page and not yet binaries for all OS imho ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) might already be better.

APE-Tags are something winning over FLAC though imho. Still wouldn’t want to use anything but FLAC (well, maybe ALAC to stream untranscoded to the Soundbridge ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

BubbaDog
    Participant

Guys,

Thanks for the info, didn’t even know about ALAC. I’ll give it a look, I like the idea of a native lossless format for the SB….

B’Dog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.