Missing basic documentation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    specialagent

Hey guys,

I just missing a lot of documentation. Im running FreeBSD and in the wiki there were only NetBSD and MacOSX hints for installaing mt-daap. So I used Google and I found FreeBSD support in your wiki!?!
    (http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/Quickstart_FreeBSD) So its not referenced in the main page.

Well, now the server is running, iTunes can listen and I put some mp3 files to the mp3 folder. I had to restart mt-daapd to find the mp3’s in iTunes. OK.

But now I want to have my iTunes Playlist in the Server. I read about the functionality about Playlists and Smart Playlists, but I cannot find any documentation about this?! Is there something in the wiki, which is not referenced to?

In the wiki, there is a Configuration and Usage setting, but by all means and with all respect: The articles referenced there are not for the configuration and the usage ( K, some advanced usage stuff ), but the config is for compiling and this should be in an extra compiling/installing section. And the startup scripts as well.

Where is the basic basic basic stuff in this wiki?

I just browsed all information and I can only find some chunked info’s about for instance playlists!

If you could help me ( and other guys ) too, please answer my question for the playlists and update the wiki! 🙂

We all want to make open source stronger and better and documentation is one of the most important things, especially in open source/wide community projects!

Thanks, buddies!

rpedde
    Participant

@specialagent wrote:

But now I want to have my iTunes Playlist in the Server. I read about the functionality about Playlists and Smart Playlists, but I cannot find any documentation about this?! Is there something in the wiki, which is not referenced to?

Those are edited from the web interface (http://server:port, log on as “admin” with the password set in your “admin_pw” setting). Use the smart playlist tab. There is a wizardy thing there, but you can also manually make playlists using the syntax described [url=’http://trac.fireflymediaserver.org/wiki/SmartPlaylists%5Dhere%5B/url%5D.

We all want to make open source stronger and better and documentation is one of the most important things, especially in open source/wide community projects!

Great! Thanks for volunteering! You could help best by helping to move the wiki documentation from wiki.mt-daapd.org to trac.fireflymediaserver.org. You might want to update it from 0.2.x to the nightlies codebase as well.

Another thing you could do is distill the wiki page on the playlist format into a helpful html page that could be popped up from a “help” link on the smart playlist page.

Either one of those would be a big help. If you have other things you are interested in contributing, let me know, we sure could use the help.

Thanks, buddies!

Thank *you*.

specialagent

Hi,

thank you for replying. You wrote:

Those are edited from the web interface (http://server:port, log on as “admin” with the password set in your “admin_pw” setting). Use the smart playlist tab.

In my webinterface there is no Smart Playlist Tab, only “Home”, “Config”, “Status”, “Feedback”, and “Thanks”. Im running mt-daapd 0.2.4 from the newest FreeBSD ports. Whats wrong?

Great! Thanks for volunteering! You could help best by helping to move the wiki documentation from wiki.mt-daapd.org to trac.fireflymediaserver.org. You might want to update it from 0.2.x to the nightlies codebase as well.

Another thing you could do is distill the wiki page on the playlist format into a helpful html page that could be popped up from a “help” link on the smart playlist page.

Either one of those would be a big help. If you have other things you are interested in contributing, let me know, we sure could use the help.

Hmmm… yes I could. Im participating on two other open source projcts. And I dont know yet if I could do this for you too. I’ll think about that.
    I didnt know that there is another wiki. It would be a good idea to link from the wiki.mt-daapd.org to the other one in the first page.

Thanks, again.

specialagent

Hi,

thank you for replying. You wrote:

Those are edited from the web interface (http://server:port, log on as “admin” with the password set in your “admin_pw” setting). Use the smart playlist tab.

In my webinterface there is no Smart Playlist Tab, only “Home”, “Config”, “Status”, “Feedback”, and “Thanks”. Im running mt-daapd 0.2.4 from the newest FreeBSD ports. Whats wrong?

Hmmm… yes I could. Im participating on two other open source projcts. And I dont know yet if I could do this for you too. I’ll think about that.
    I didnt know that there is another wiki. It would be a good idea to link from the wiki.mt-daapd.org to the other one in the first page.

Thanks, again.

rpedde
    Participant

@specialagent wrote:

Im running mt-daapd 0.2.4 from the newest FreeBSD ports.

I don’t know where freebsd keeps the misc. stuff from the package, but the playlist stuff is documented in the sample playlist that’s included in the “contrib” directory as mt-daapd.playlist.

Also, here.

specialagent

Thanks for the hint. Do you know why I dont have a Smart Playlist tab in my web-interface? This would be convenient.

Thanks.

morglum

it is my understanding that smart playlsit are only in the NIGHTLIES build, not the official .24 one.

rpedde
    Participant

@morglum wrote:

it is my understanding that smart playlsit are only in the NIGHTLIES build, not the official .24 one.

Yup, that’s true.

specialagent

So,

you mean the Web GUI is only in the Nightlies, or the whole functionality?

Whats about normal playlist? Can I organize my own directory tree and this are the playlists then? That would be great If I want to copy some playlists fast on my notebook!

Thanks.

rpedde
    Participant

@specialagent wrote:

you mean the Web GUI is only in the Nightlies, or the whole functionality?

smart playlists are done completely differently between 0.2.4 and nightlies. In 0.2.4, they are created through the playlist file. Look at the playlist file in the contrib directory for documentation and examples about how to use it.

In nightlies, the smart playlists are managed through the web interface. See the documentation linked from thew wiki for details on that.

Whats about normal playlist? Can I organize my own directory tree and this are the playlists then? That would be great If I want to copy some playlists fast on my notebook!

Either version will use .m3u style playlists. Make sure you have “process_m3u” set to 1 in your config file.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.