MIPSEL Linkstation and iTunes Fix

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues MIPSEL Linkstation and iTunes Fix

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jgwcouk

I am no Linux expert…

I have 0.2.1.1 working fine on a MIPSEL-based Buffalo LinkStation, and it serves my Roku M1000 brilliantly.

However, iTunes can’t browse it – has anyone successfully applied the iTunes fix to this setup? My trawlings of the web have drawn a blank. I can’t even work out how I ever got mt-daapd working on the LinkStation in the first place!

Any advice for a newbie…?

velociped
    Participant

Which version of iTunes?

On which platform is it installed?

You are likely experiencing a compatibility and/or networking issue, but we need more information to help you diagnose it.

–HIM

jgwcouk

velociped wrote:
    Which version of iTunes?

On which platform is it installed?

MCE 2005 (fully patched)

You are likely experiencing a compatibility and/or networking issue, but we need more information to help you diagnose it.

–HIM

iTunes can see the server but cannot browse it.

Post edited by: jgwcouk, at: 2006/02/19 13:18

Post edited by: jgwcouk, at: 2006/02/19 14:38

velociped
    Participant

There are numerous threads in the forum as well as several FAQ entries on the subject of getting Windows and the DAAP to play well together. Chief among them is to ensure that the built-in Windows firewall is letting TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353 packets through. If you are "seeing" the share, but cannot play anything, it is likely the UDP port which is being blocked.

Check those settings and let us know if corerction solves your problem.

If the WinXP box is properly configured, check any router which may be between them, especially if the Roku and the MCE hardware use different networking protocols (e.g. one is hardwired and the other uses 802.11x).

–Herman

jgwcouk

Given that iTunes reports that the music server “is not compatible with this version of iTunes”, I assumed this is the “iTunes 5” problem – am I completely wrong?

velociped
    Participant

Ooops, my oversight. You are using an outdated version of the mt-daapd package, which incorrectly broadcast itself to iTunes clients. In the stable feed, it is necessary to use version 0.2.3 in order to be compatible with iTunes 5.x and later.

Again, though, lots of forum posts and at least three project postings on the subject. The menu at left contains a link to version 0.2.3.

–Herman

jgwcouk

Ah – now you are addressing my original question! My point was that there is no information on installing 0.2.3 on a MIPSEL-based LinkStation and as a relative novice I am looking for advice. As I said, I have trawled this archive and the Linkstation wiki but can only find information that deals with the (old) version I already have – nothing on 0.2.3.

velociped
    Participant

LOL… er… okay… I guess I missed that aspect of your original post! 😉

Even so, I am still at a loss to understanding your conundrum. How did you originally install 0.2.1.1? All of the LinkStation tutorials of which I am aware (these are but a sampling [1], [2], [3]), make use of the tarball (stable or nightly). To overcome the 0.2.1x broadcast issue, simply substitute the 0.2.3 tarball for the 0.2.1x tarball.

If you installed from some sort of package manager, then someone else will have to provide assistance — I do not use them. Surely, though, someone in the LinkStation_General mailing list can put on the correct path in the regard.

–Herman

rpedde
    Participant

Also, might try here:

http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/Quickstart_LinkStation

The pre-built packages on the linkstation wiki are for 0.2.1.1, and so won’t work with iTunes 5 or better.

Might agitate over there to see who built those. It takes a whole build chain to be able to build those packages, and I don’t have a mipsel build chain, or a linkstation to test it on.

Hrm. Maybe I should put out a call for packagers and testers for various arches.

jgwcouk

Thanks for trying, folks.

There are two problems with what you suggest: the first is that there is plenty of material out there for the PPC-based LinkStation but precious little for the MIPSEL-based version – from what I’ve read it could be a crucial difference; the second is that I am a mere dabbler in the whole Linux world, without much experience (most of it based around getting mt-daapd working on an NSLU2 and Debian systems!) – much of what I read goes straight over my head.

I did indeed use some kind of packaged installation for mt-daapd on the LinkStation but I’m damned if I can remember how!

Anyway, thanks again for trying – I will go and hassle people elsewhere!

J

PS
    Success! This link proved the clincher!

Post edited by: jgwcouk, at: 2006/02/19 23:40

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.