Maxtor Shared Storage Plus and Firefly

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests Maxtor Shared Storage Plus and Firefly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jimt

I’m new to this forum and Linux challenged. I use the Windows version of Firefly to service my 3 Roku devices at home and it works great. I purchased a 300mb MSS plus to service the ROKU devices w/o running the computer. It works but does not transcode WMAL which my entire library is composed of.

It looks like there hase been some discussion in this forum about Firefly on an MSS Plus but it seemed to stop short of a testable solution with clear instructions.

Is this something being worked on? Do I need to flash my MSS with Openmss or something else? Do I need to manually transcode my files to .WAV ir some other lossless format?

Thanks

grommet
    Participant

Why is in this in Feature Reqest forum? 8)

Firefly only supports WMAL on Windows, since there is no complete reverse engineered WMAL code out there to use on other platforms. So, if you want to use Lossless… you’ll need to convert to something like FLAC. Avoid uncompressed .WAV, simply because there are no standard tags in .WAV files.

Re: changing your MSS… sorry, someone else will need to help on that.

rpedde
    Participant

@jimt wrote:

It works but does not transcode WMAL which my entire library is composed of.

As grommet said, there is no open-source decoder for wmal, and not a lot of interest in making one either, apparently, as everyone interested in cross-platform lossless appears to have already settled on flac.

It looks like there hase been some discussion in this forum about Firefly on an MSS Plus but it seemed to stop short of a testable solution with clear instructions.

Probably because nobody around here that regularly posts (myself included) have one. There is no reason it wouldn’t run on an MSS, but it would probably require some moderate kung-fu to get a build chain for mss going.

Is this something being worked on? Do I need to flash my MSS with Openmss or something else? Do I need to manually transcode my files to .WAV ir some other lossless format?

Again, not having one, that’s an itch I don’t have. You will almost certainly have to move to a unslung/optware supportable distro like openmss to be able to run arbitrary software like firefly, so my guess would be yeah, openmss is the way to go.

As far as directions, I’m guessing you’d probably have a better chance digging up help on the openmss forums.

At some point, I might spring for a mss box just so I can answer these type of questions (as well as post nightlies for it), but those cost money and stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

— Ron

jimt

Thanks for the input.

I was hoping that there was a port for Firefly to mss running as a process under openmss, if I understand correctly. If there was, I would consider transcoding to FLAC because my ultimate goal is to have an NAS server with an independent media server like Firefly.

I’ll pursue the questions on Openmss.

rpedde
    Participant

@jimt wrote:

I was hoping that there was a port for Firefly to mss running as a process under openmss, if I understand correctly. If there was, I would consider transcoding to FLAC because my ultimate goal is to have an NAS server with an independent media server like Firefly.

as an update, I just got a mss today and have updated it with openmss. I’ll try and work it into my build chain for nightlies soon.

— Ron

bardelot

Hey great! I’m a proud owner of the MSS+ as well, and I’m willing to test your nightlies ๐Ÿ™‚

There’s a mt-daapd_0.2.4-1_mipsel.ipk in http://ipkg.openmss.org/testing/ for those who want to upgrade from Maxtor’s version.

bardelot

rpedde
    Participant

@bardelot wrote:

Hey great! I’m a proud owner of the MSS+ as well, and I’m willing to test your nightlies ๐Ÿ™‚

There’s a mt-daapd_0.2.4-1_mipsel.ipk in http://ipkg.openmss.org/testing/ for those who want to upgrade from Maxtor’s version.

bardelot

Ya, me too… but the build chain has to run on x86. I have very few intel machines around here… most are powerpc and arm and mips. ๐Ÿ™‚ I finally got a licensed copy of esx server, and I’ve managed to get it installed and running. I’m going to go ahead and build a debian vm in that with the build chain for building openmss packages. Don’t think I’ll get it finished this weekend, but maybe next.

— Ron

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.