Mac OSX – 1.0b3 — cannot restart Firefly?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback Mac OSX – 1.0b3 — cannot restart Firefly?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    scott

Hi. I just downloaded the Mac OSX version of Firefly and it seemed to be working fine. However, when I stopped the server and then tried to restart it, I keep getting the error message “Firefly failed to start.”

Checking the Console log file reveals:
    setting dest to 1
    Error in config file on line 29
    Error reading config file (/Users/scott/Library/Application Support/Firefly/firefly.conf)
    2006-07-30 22:05:27.428 Firefly Helper[1099] Server Task ended with status 1
    Jul 30 22:05:27 reality mt-daapd[1157]: Error in config file on line 29n

In my config file, line 29 is the path to the web_root directory:
    29: web_root = /Users/scott/Library/PreferencePanes/Firefly.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Firefly Helper.app/Contents/Resources/Server/admin-root

I haven’t done anything to edit the config files, so I’m not sure what could be going wrong… I had to uninstall/reinstall Firefly to get it working again, but I got the same result when I tried to stop/restart the server. Any thoughts?

rpedde
    Participant

@scott wrote:

Hi. I just downloaded the Mac OSX version of Firefly and it seemed to be working fine. However, when I stopped the server and then tried to restart it, I keep getting the error message “Firefly failed to start.”

Checking the Console log file reveals:
    setting dest to 1
    Error in config file on line 29
    Error reading config file (/Users/scott/Library/Application Support/Firefly/firefly.conf)
    2006-07-30 22:05:27.428 Firefly Helper[1099] Server Task ended with status 1
    Jul 30 22:05:27 reality mt-daapd[1157]: Error in config file on line 29n

In my config file, line 29 is the path to the web_root directory:
    29: web_root = /Users/scott/Library/PreferencePanes/Firefly.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Firefly Helper.app/Contents/Resources/Server/admin-root

I haven’t done anything to edit the config files, so I’m not sure what could be going wrong… I had to uninstall/reinstall Firefly to get it working again, but I got the same result when I tried to stop/restart the server. Any thoughts?

Did you install it for yourself, or for all users?

scott

I had installed it just for myself. Uninstalling and re-installing for all users seems to have cleared it up. Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@scott wrote:

I had installed it just for myself. Uninstalling and re-installing for all users seems to have cleared it up. Thanks!

Still very peculiar. Are you using encrypted home dirs, maybe?

scott

The only thing I can think of that might be different is that I don’t have my iTunes music in my home folder. Instead it’s at
    /Users/Shared/iTunes Music/

I move it out of my home directory when I was thinking about turning on FileVault, but I ended up deciding not to use FileVault after all.

rpedde
    Participant

@scott wrote:

The only thing I can think of that might be different is that I don’t have my iTunes music in my home folder. Instead it’s at
    /Users/Shared/iTunes Music/

I move it out of my home directory when I was thinking about turning on FileVault, but I ended up deciding not to use FileVault after all.

Wonder if it’s a permissions thing, then?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron,

I’ve been getting the same thing periodically as well. Only solution is to uninstall & reinstall.

I run just the admin account, with firefly installed for that user only. My music folder is installed on a second internal HD.

I haven’t messed with permissions:

owner is andyg – access is read & write
    group is andyg – access read only
    others – read only

This has happened across the builds, I’m currently on the most recent of the nightlies.

Andy

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok, so since sending that last message I uninstalled/reinstalled. Firefly started fine, then I stopped it & got the firefly failed to start message.

I’ve emailed you (Ron) the log file… the debug was set to 9.

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

ok, so since sending that last message I uninstalled/reinstalled. Firefly started fine, then I stopped it & got the firefly failed to start message.

I’ve emailed you (Ron) the log file… the debug was set to 9.

Great. that will help. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron,

noodled around a bit today & here are some observations/stuff I did:

repaired disc permissions & ran disc warrior, still getting regular instances of firefly not restarting. Uninstalls fine – both manually & using the uninstall script – installs & fires up ok, but still dies when I stop/restart.

Pointed firefly just to the itunes folder on the 2nd hd and ignored the music folder in /andyg/music – still dies.

Have also had several occasions of firefly running, try to access the log & it crashes system prefs.

have done some of this on both the most recent nightly & the stable build, same situation.

FYI…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.