Loss of connection with Soundbridge – Firewall disabled

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Loss of connection with Soundbridge – Firewall disabled

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    polak

I read that connection losses are usually firewall related. However I do not have a firewall running on my Ubuntu Firefly box so not sure what to do next. I even disable my router firewall but that made no difference. Finally I installed Firestarter just to check Ubuntu firewall was not running (Linux newbie!).

If I stream to the Soundbridge I think its OK. However connection is lost if I go to standby and then immediately try and reconnect after a streaming session. If I leave Soundbridge idle connection lost quite quickly (not sure how long it takes). Looking at Firefly’s web interface shows server still running when connection lost. Restart from console allows Soundbridge to reconnect.

I thought about trying another uPnP client to help diagnose whether its Soundbridge or Firefly. Cant see how you make MediaPlayer or Winamp a client though…

Any ideas, anyone?

rpedde
    Participant

@polak wrote:

I read that connection losses are usually firewall related. However I do not have a firewall running on my Ubuntu Firefly box so not sure what to do next. I even disable my router firewall but that made no difference. Finally I installed Firestarter just to check Ubuntu firewall was not running (Linux newbie!).

If I stream to the Soundbridge I think its OK. However connection is lost if I go to standby and then immediately try and reconnect after a streaming session. If I leave Soundbridge idle connection lost quite quickly (not sure how long it takes). Looking at Firefly’s web interface shows server still running when connection lost. Restart from console allows Soundbridge to reconnect.

I thought about trying another uPnP client to help diagnose whether its Soundbridge or Firefly. Cant see how you make MediaPlayer or Winamp a client though…

Any ideas, anyone?

Turn off any firewalls (firestarter in particular) and restart your server. Then manually flush the iptables rules with something like:

iptables --policy INPUT ACCEPT
    iptables --policy OUTPUT ACCEPT
    iptables --policy FORWARD ACCEPT
    iptables --flush
    iptables -X

iptables -L should show no rules at that point, with a default policy of ACCEPT on all chains.

Then start it and see what happens.

Are both the soundbridge and your ubuntu box wired? If not, it might be worthwhile to test with both of them wired.

polak

Thanks rpedde for the suggestion but it didnt help. All policies set to accept but the connection still drops. I streamed happily for 2 hours and then it just died – just like another poster described. Server still running as before though.

I have tried the Soundbridge wired to the router as well but not yet the server – I’ll need a long cable!

Is this actually a bug with eiher the current Firefly or Soundbridge? Unless someone else can suggest something I’ll have to assume that and just let it be for while. It would be a shame to have to go back to XP after all the effort to get this far!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.