Loading All Songs…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    macollin
    Participant

I recently changed my network setup – my desktop used to be wireless and now it is plugged directly into my router (which is connected to my Soundbridge wirelessly). Prior to changing my network setup, when I would start my playlist for all songs (about 10,000) the list would load rather quickly. During the load time I would see the Soundbrige read something like “Loading song x of 10,000” this would increment accordinlgy and rather quickly. However, now it just reads “Loading Songs…”. It seems to take much longer now as well. As as aside I would notice this behavior when I used to use iTunes as my server (and is the main reason why I switched to Firefly).

The other strange thing I noticed is that now the Firefly icon shows up in my task bar, whereas when I was wireless on the desktop it would never show up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Matt

rpedde
    Participant

@macollin wrote:

I recently changed my network setup – my desktop used to be wireless and now it is plugged directly into my router (which is connected to my Soundbridge wirelessly). Prior to changing my network setup, when I would start my playlist for all songs (about 10,000) the list would load rather quickly. During the load time I would see the Soundbrige read something like “Loading song x of 10,000” this would increment accordinlgy and rather quickly. However, now it just reads “Loading Songs…”. It seems to take much longer now as well. As as aside I would notice this behavior when I used to use iTunes as my server (and is the main reason why I switched to Firefly).

The other strange thing I noticed is that now the Firefly icon shows up in my task bar, whereas when I was wireless on the desktop it would never show up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Matt

What kind of router?

It sounds like it used to be using rsp and now it’s using daap. I’m guessing you have a router that doesn’t do true multicast. (like an AVM router, maybe?)

You can verify that by running something like “Bonjour Browser” (for mac) or something like that. I don’t know of any equivalent tool for windows though, but it’s my guess that it’s a router issue.

macollin
    Participant

Thanks Ron. I’m using a D-link DI-624. I double checked that all of my setting are currently the same as when it was using rsp.

I’ll do some searches for something like Bonjour Browser for windows.

On a side note, the server does say that Bonjour is not running, but I think I read that I just need to upgrade to fix.

rpedde
    Participant

@macollin wrote:

Thanks Ron. I’m using a D-link DI-624. I double checked that all of my setting are currently the same as when it was using rsp.

I’ll do some searches for something like Bonjour Browser for windows.

On a side note, the server does say that Bonjour is not running, but I think I read that I just need to upgrade to fix.

If you wire your soundbridge, that will probably work, too. Sounds like when they are on the same side of the router (wired versus wireless) it will work, but not when they are split — one on wired and the other on wireless.

Since you *can* see it from iTunes, it means it must be proxying the _daap._tcp info, but probably not _rsp._tcp. So you can connect to it in the iTunes way, but not the rsp way… hence the slowness.

That’s what the AVM router does, anyway, and the symptoms sound identical.

— Ron

macollin
    Participant

This may sound like a silly question, but is there anyway I can plug my USB wireless device into my desktop and only have firefly use it to communicate with my router, but use my wired network card for everything else wireless?

I definitely miss the speed of rsp.

Thanks for your help with this.

rpedde
    Participant

@macollin wrote:

This may sound like a silly question, but is there anyway I can plug my USB wireless device into my desktop and only have firefly use it to communicate with my router, but use my wired network card for everything else wireless?

I definitely miss the speed of rsp.

Thanks for your help with this.

Not that I can think of. It’s possible that a firmware update on the router might help, though.

— Ron

macollin
    Participant

It appears a restart of my PC did the trick. I believe the culprit may have been an XBMC that I recently added to my network, as I know I had restarted my PC in the past, but I think the XBMC had always been on then. So, I think the XBMC was forcing the daap to run (just a guess). Anyway to turn DAAP off, as I use SMB for XBMC.

Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.