Linkstation Pro?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cdesaint
    Participant

Has anyone had luck installing Firefly on the new Linkstation Pro? To my knowledge there isn’t any non-Buffalo firmware available yet, so I don’t know if anyone has even tried putting a media server on it.

Thanks,
    Charles.

rpedde
    Participant

@cdesaint wrote:

Has anyone had luck installing Firefly on the new Linkstation Pro? To my knowledge there isn’t any non-Buffalo firmware available yet, so I don’t know if anyone has even tried putting a media server on it.

Thanks,
    Charles.

It’s already been debianized, so I imagine it won’t be long before there is a freelink installer for it, or at least a debian walkthrough.

— Ron

cdesaint
    Participant

Hi Ron,

So I’m getting my LSPro this afternoon, and the development of Freelink / Openlink is still very early on. Based on information at the linkstation Wiki, I’m pretty sure I can flash the firmware and get devtools setup on it. Once I do that, can I follow the steps here:

http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/Quickstart_LinkStation

to compile and install firefly on it?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Charles.

rpedde
    Participant

@cdesaint wrote:

Hi Ron,

So I’m getting my LSPro this afternoon, and the development of Freelink / Openlink is still very early on. Based on information at the linkstation Wiki, I’m pretty sure I can flash the firmware and get devtools setup on it. Once I do that, can I follow the steps here:

http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/Quickstart_LinkStation

to compile and install firefly on it?

What are your thoughts?

That’s about right, although if you want nightlies (and I’d guess you do), then you’ll need sqlite 2.8 or sqlite 3.3.0+. Configure with –enable-sqlite or –enable-sqlite3, depending on which to get (2.8 or 3.3).

Other than that, basically run it and then head to the admin page and start configuring it. The nightlies have a better web config, so I’d use that rather than editing the config file.

— Ron

p.s. nightlies at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org, btw.

cdesaint
    Participant

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info…I actually went ahead and decided to start with the stable mt-daapd since the dependency chain seemed smaller and the devtools on the lspro are still very new.

That being said, I now have it running on my linkstation pro! I’m hoping to post binaries in the linkstation wiki area once I get around to it.

I would still like to try to get the nightlies running at some point, although less urgently now. Will there be any issues if I try to get that running in addition to the version I have running now? Can they co-exist safely?

Thanks,
    Charles.

cdesaint
    Participant

Ron,

As an FYI, I’ve gone ahead and posted binaries here:

http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/uploads/LS_Pro_temporary/Tarballs/

The thread about this is here:

http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2036

That being said, I have also gone ahead and successfully built a nightly version as well (binaries also posted), but have not tested since I have mt-daapd (stable) already working.

My question for you (other than how they can coexist) is whether it is worth it for me to switch to the nightly…I don’t use flac or any of that – just have a 60gig music library (all mp3) that I want to serve up using iTunes and a couple of Soundbridges. Will I get much benefit from using the nightly or should I stick with what I have working?

Thanks,
    Charles.

rpedde
    Participant

@cdesaint wrote:

My question for you (other than how they can coexist)

They can, but they should be installed to different directories, and will need different db_dir, admin_root, and port.

is whether it is worth it for me to switch to the nightly…I don’t use flac or any of that – just have a 60gig music library (all mp3) that I want to serve up using iTunes and a couple of Soundbridges. Will I get much benefit from using the nightly or should I stick with what I have working?

I’d say if it’s not broken, don’t fix it. Although the nightlies are a lot faster against a soundbridge. If you aren’t using anything else the nightlies give you, then that’s the only thing.

— Ron

cdesaint
    Participant

Hey Ron,

Just wanted to let you know that I did try the nightlies and got them working. So now I’ve got the latest Firefly running on my LS-GL, which is awesome!

Thanks.

julester23

I know this is a long time after your last message, but in case anyone out there was wondering, I’ve found that the 1.11 freelink debian OS seems to have a bug in the network driver.

You must put the interface in PROMISC mode to make it work. The multicast traffic doesn’t seem to be processed properly. I hope this saves someone some time.

I’m using 0.9-svn-1586.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.