Lessen number of processes on the NSLU build

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Lessen number of processes on the NSLU build

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gurgel2
    Participant

Can you lessen the nr of process (5?) that is spawned. I guess its for concurrancy and handling multiple requests simultanously?

rpedde
    Participant

@gurgel2 wrote:

Can you lessen the nr of process (5?) that is spawned. I guess its for concurrancy and handling multiple requests simultanously?

Not really. For the most part they dont’ use the resources you see in top or ps — they are really threads, so they have shared memory, etc.

So it’s not as terrible as it looks.

fizze
    Participant

Generally, in Unix OSes the threading behaves a lot different than in, say Windows NT.

Whole threads and processes can be put to sleep, they eat up zero memory and/or CPU then.

So also do not worry when the nslu2 is idle and it has no free memory. When memory is requested by an app it is delivered, otherwise the system uses it as cache. 😉

gurgel2
    Participant

Thanx guys.. then I know… FYI. I just wanna keep my system utilizing below the physical mem limit so there is no swapping when idle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.