iTunes Songlist Caching?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fresh_qi

Running 100gb (20K songs) on a slug, I’ve noticed that it can take itunes quite a bit of time to load the songlist. Over time, it appears to need to refresh (ie if the computer goes to sleep), however nothing has changed on the server.

Do ya’ll think there’s anyway to avoid this from happening by caching the songlist in some way?

Great product by the way. thanks in advance!

rpedde
    Participant

@fresh_qi wrote:

Running 100gb (20K songs) on a slug, I’ve noticed that it can take itunes quite a bit of time to load the songlist. Over time, it appears to need to refresh (ie if the computer goes to sleep), however nothing has changed on the server.

Do ya’ll think there’s anyway to avoid this from happening by caching the songlist in some way?

Yeah, it could be cached to a file or something, I just haven’t done it. Mostly because I’m not sure exactly how much benefit there would be to it, and because management of the cache would be a pain and restrict me from being able to change how I handle playlists and stuff like that.

I figure once I get to the point that I have everything stable in how I’m storing and handling playlists and whatnot, I might revisit that, as it would probably add some benefit to small boxes like the slug.

fresh_qi

@rpedde wrote:

Yeah, it could be cached to a file or something, I just haven’t done it. Mostly because I’m not sure exactly how much benefit there would be to it, and because management of the cache would be a pain and restrict me from being able to change how I handle playlists and stuff like that.

I figure once I get to the point that I have everything stable in how I’m storing and handling playlists and whatnot, I might revisit that, as it would probably add some benefit to small boxes like the slug.

So is iTunes basically asking for a ‘refresh’ arbitrarily and forcing firefly to regenerate it? Seems like iTunes should be smarter about when it asks. People’s music libraries can’t possible change so frequently as to require constant updates.

So is firefly regenerating the songlists everytime it gets queried for it?

thanks for the info and satisfying my curiosity.

rpedde
    Participant

@fresh_qi wrote:

So is firefly regenerating the songlists everytime it gets queried for it?

Yes. iTunes *does* support incremental updates (just what has changed since the last time it asked), but I don’t support it right now. It’s on my list at the top of the big-ticket items for next version.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.