iTunes server compatibility with Apple iPhone ‘Remote’ app

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests iTunes server compatibility with Apple iPhone ‘Remote’ app

• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Could you please add the ability to pair an iPhone using Apple’s ‘Remote’ software application (available free from the iPhone AppStore) with Firefly Media Server for linux?

Here’s more info on the Remote software:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/11/first-look-remote/

In order to pair an iPhone running Remote with an iTunes library, you have to:
    1. choose ‘Add Library…’ (shown below)

2. select your iPhone from the Devices list in iTunes

3. enter a 4 digit PIN which is displayed on your iPhone, into your iTunes application

Thanks!
    ~Simo

mafro

This maybe my first post but i’m not a bot πŸ™‚

Anyway, ive been writing an iphone controller for MPD recently, but in the advent of the Apple Remote app I think the easiest thing to do would be to switch to firefly.

Ill look into the pairing thing (its just some kind of hashcode) and post here again.

mafro

Anonymous
    Inactive

@mafro wrote:

This maybe my first post but i’m not a bot πŸ™‚

Haha yes i looked for some kind of way to ‘report’ the bot post above to admins but couldn’t see anything πŸ™‚

@mafro wrote:

Ill look into the pairing thing (its just some kind of hashcode) and post here again.

Anything you might be able to come up with would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    ~Simo

Anonymous
    Inactive

Highly interesting ! Any news ? πŸ˜€

Cheers

morgmel

extremely interesting

the ability to pair the remote directly with firefly would be incredibly

please tell me it’s possible……. 😯

brandi

i second that. please add such a feature. it’s extreme stupid to run the itunes application on a pc, if we can play it through firefly on the nas.

cheers brandi

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know there are other threads referring to the AppleTV code issue, but I suspect these 2 are connected, and here’s a pointer to the (likely) way to handle this:

http://www.packetevents.com/2008/07/secrets-behind-itunes-remote-with-iphone/

key bit:

the login sequence is as below

iPhone Γ’β‚¬β€œ> iTunes : GET /server-info HTTP/1.1
    iTunes Γ’β‚¬β€œ> iPhone : HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    iPhone Γ’β‚¬β€œ> iTunes : GET /login?pairing-guid=* HTTP/1.1
    iTunes Γ’β‚¬β€œ> iPhone : HTTP/1.1 200 OK

If rpedde is correct, that it’s encrypted, then how about this?
    once logged in, itunes is saving the validated code in the xml file. maybe we can copy it? Rename a firefly instance to the same name as the Itunes library had, and use the code?

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://dacp.jsharkey.org/

All the details needed, and it’s really trivial as it turns out.

volker
    Participant

hmm … probably I don’t get this thread …
    But I don’t think it’s the job from mt-daapd to get accessible by the remote-app. The remote-app doesn’t transfer any music to the touch or iphone, it only controlled the iTunes-Programm.
    Unfortunately you can’t acess music from shared libraries in the controlled iTunes, but this would be the job from iTunes or the remote app.

greetings, volker

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe a dumb questions, but I am also not quite sure, whether this all could work. As the firefly server should only provide access to a music library, which could be included into iTunes, I am confused about the fact that this server could be made accessible for a connection to the remote app in order to play music on another client like the airport express.

Thank you for a little explanation to this problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.