iTunes Playlist

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    raymondh
    Participant

I’m running the nightlies.

I used iTunes on a mac to move my library to a network folder //server/users/music/

I then used “consolidate” in iTunes.

Everything works from that mac now without a problem. All songs now point to the server. I copied the itunes xml file over to the server.

The problem is on my other computers (macs). They can see and play the music and list the playlists that were created in itunes but non of the songs show up in the playlists.

When I opened the playlist xml file I saw that the path to the music are all set to “file://localhost/Volumes/CRH3%3BSERVER/common/music/”

Obviously, that isn’t going to work for firefly…

Is the only way to get this to work is to do a global find/replace on the path each time the playlist is updated in iTunes?

rpedde
    Participant

@raymondh wrote:

I’m running the nightlies.

I used iTunes on a mac to move my library to a network folder //server/users/music/

I then used “consolidate” in iTunes.

Everything works from that mac now without a problem. All songs now point to the server. I copied the itunes xml file over to the server.

The problem is on my other computers (macs). They can see and play the music and list the playlists that were created in itunes but non of the songs show up in the playlists.

When I opened the playlist xml file I saw that the path to the music are all set to “file://localhost/Volumes/CRH3%3BSERVER/common/music/”

Obviously, that isn’t going to work for firefly…

Is the only way to get this to work is to do a global find/replace on the path each time the playlist is updated in iTunes?

It should work. It tries very hard to turn that into a path that works.

Make sure you have “process playlists” and “process iTunes” turn on in the web config and rescan. I bet they pop up.

— Ron

raymondh
    Participant

I had an old copy of the xml file hidden in there…

How can I get itunes to update this file when I change or add a playlist? I tried copying an alias to my itunes folder but it still won’t work. I seem to have to copy the file over each time.

rpedde
    Participant

@raymondh wrote:

I had an old copy of the xml file hidden in there…

How can I get itunes to update this file when I change or add a playlist? I tried copying an alias to my itunes folder but it still won’t work. I seem to have to copy the file over each time.

Where is your .xml file?

The only way I’ve every done that before is to sync a copy of my ~/Music/iTunes to a remove device and then symlink ~/Music/iTunes to that location. That keeps the .xml file with the music.

Are you saying that if you change your music library location, the .xml file doesn’t go with it?

If so, then that’s on par with the way windows does it. The only way I’d know to fix it would be to manually (or via a script) copy the file to the remote location.

But I’d recommend the symlink thing, or mounting the remote location in ~/Music, or using the “option” trick on starting iTunes to make a full iTunes library in the remote drive.

— Ron

squashuax
    Participant

I can’t get playlists working between iTunes, Maxtor MSS NAS, and Fierefly. Everything I’ve done is described below. Please take a look, and let me know if you see what is wrong, or can suggest how to fix it. I am using Firefly version svn-1673 (which apart from playlists, is working great).

First, I copied all of my music to the NAS, and then used iTunes to set the iTunes Music Folder

Then, using the “advanced” menu, I consolidated the library. This took awhile, but made sure there was a copy of all of my MP4 files in the Y:My MusiciTunesiTunes Music folder.

Then, using “export library” from the “file” menu, I created Y:My MusiciTunesiTunes MusicLibrary.xml

According to the Firefly web interface,
    Config File Location: /shares/mss-hdd/__opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    Web Root: /shares/mss-hdd/__opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root

And two music folder locations:
    /shares/mss-hdd/Compaq_Owner/My Music/
    and
    /shares/mss-hdd/Compaq_Owner/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

Process Playlists: Yes
    Process iTunes files: Yes
    Process m3u files: No

Under Smart Playlists, I see this:
    ID Playlist Name Type Action
    1 Library Smart

After running a full scan, and restarting the Roku SoundBridge, when I go to the Roku and scan for playlists after I get connected to the NAS, I get this message:
    “”

When I use telnet to look in the firefly “/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf” file, I see this:
    mp3_dir = /shares/mss-hdd/Compaq_Owner/My Music/,/shares/mss-hdd/Compaq_Owner/M$

If I use wordpad to view the Library.xml file at Y:My MusiciTunesiTunes MusicLibrary.xml, I find this at the beginning of a very long text file:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"

http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd”&gt;

Major Version1
    Minor Version1
    Application Version7.4.1
    Features1
    Show Content Ratings
    Music Folderfile://localhost/Y:/My%20Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/
    Library Persistent IDA318CFDA900F32EA
    Tracks

and when I search the text for “playlist” I find this information:

Playlists

NameLibrary
    Master
    Playlist ID5129
    Playlist Persistent IDA318CFDA900F32EB
    Visible
    All Items
    Playlist Items

Track ID544

Track ID3117

Track ID3118

Track ID545

PLEASE HELP!”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.