itunes keeps dropping firefly share requiring mt-daapd resta

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues itunes keeps dropping firefly share requiring mt-daapd resta

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    caitifty
    Participant

Hi all

I have a ubuntu server running avanti and mt-daapd, sharing a bunch of mp3s to a couple of macs on the same network. All works well except the itunes clients on the mac keep ‘losing’ the share. mt-daapd and avanti are both still listed in the running process list on the server, and doing /etc/init.d/mt-daapd restart makes the share show up again in itunes.

Does anyone have any ideas for fixing this so the mt-daapd share doesn’t keep vaporizing? It’s fine for me to restart every time I need to, but not for everyone else in my technophobic household..

Thanks in advance

Pete

rpedde
    Participant

@caitifty wrote:

Hi all

I have a ubuntu server running avanti and mt-daapd, sharing a bunch of mp3s to a couple of macs on the same network. All works well except the itunes clients on the mac keep ‘losing’ the share. mt-daapd and avanti are both still listed in the running process list on the server, and doing /etc/init.d/mt-daapd restart makes the share show up again in itunes.

Does anyone have any ideas for fixing this so the mt-daapd share doesn’t keep vaporizing? It’s fine for me to restart every time I need to, but not for everyone else in my technophobic household..

Thanks in advance

Pete

That usually means that your server can send UDP from 5353 to 224.0.0.251, but the firewall is dropping inbound udp to port 5353 from 224.0.0.251.

— Ron

caitifty
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion.

Firewall is off on both client mac and ubuntu server, but just to check,

nmap from client mac to ubuntu server gives:

sudo nmap -sU -P0 -p U:5353 -T Aggressive musicbox
    Interesting ports on musicbox (172.16.1.34):
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    5353/udp open|filtered zeroconf

nmap from ubuntu server to mac client gives:

sudo nmap -sU -P0 -p U:5353 -T Aggressive mac
    Interesting ports on mac (172.16.1.35):
    PORT STATE SERVICE

So as far as I can tell 5353 is open both ways. But I’m anything *but* a network guru, so any further suggestions or corrections would be more than welcome..

Pete

rpedde
    Participant

@caitifty wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Firewall is off on both client mac and ubuntu server, but just to check,

nmap from client mac to ubuntu server gives:

sudo nmap -sU -P0 -p U:5353 -T Aggressive musicbox
    Interesting ports on musicbox (172.16.1.34):
    PORT STATE SERVICE

nmap from ubuntu server to mac client gives:

sudo nmap -sU -P0 -p U:5353 -T Aggressive mac
    Interesting ports on mac (172.16.1.35):
    PORT STATE SERVICE

So as far as I can tell 5353 is open both ways. But I’m anything *but* a network guru, so any further suggestions or corrections would be more than welcome..

Pete

That’s testing unicast, not multicast. On the music server, your “iptables -L -n” shows all allow?

Also, where did the package come from? If it’s the one that ships with ubuntu, I’m not sure it works. You might have better luck with svn-1589 from the nightlies page (http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org).

Don’t try a newer one than that if you are looking for stability, though.

– Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.