Issues when PC comes out of Standby

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    macollin
    Participant

Apologies for the double post (I posted this with no luck in the Roku forum), but I figured it couldn’t hurt to try a different crowd…

I am currently running Firefly (but I can also recreate the issue with iTunes) on a Windows XP machine. I typically put my computer in standby mode at night. Once I wake the PC up I go to the soundbridge and start it up. It is able to connect to Firefly. However, the issue I am seeing is one of the following:

1. Once in firefly the soundbridge is unable to browse any artisits, albums, playlists, etc.
    2. Once in firefly the soundbridge is able to browse. I can start playing a song and after about a minute the song stops and the soundbridge states “Preparing to play…”. It then can’t play that track, so it skips to the next. It can’t play any of the following songs so it skips through all of them. If I then try and go back and browse anything (album, artist, etc) the soundbridge is unable to browse.

My solution to this is to reboot my router (I am using a DI-624 wirelessly). Once I do this everything works flawlessly. What could the rebooting of my router be doing to rectify this issue? Will the fix for the other standby issues I have read about in the forum fix this issue as well?

Thanks in advance.[/b]

fizze
    Participant

the fact that rebooting the rouer fixed everything indicates that its a networking issue.
    did you try to refresh your IP config on the PC?
    try

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig / renew

in the windows box.
    I think that maybe you hit a DHCP timeout, and the router does some bogus then. or windows. 😉

macollin
    Participant

Thanks for the response. I will give this a try when I get home tonight.

Would I have to run these commands everytime I wakeup the computer from standby? Is there a way to automate that?

Also, the other thing that I forgot to mention is that the Internet Radio (not through firefly) works flawlessly coming out of standby…but, it works just fine when the PC is sleeping too.

rpedde
    Participant

@macollin wrote:

My solution to this is to reboot my router (I am using a DI-624 wirelessly). Once I do this everything works flawlessly. What could the rebooting of my router be doing to rectify this issue? Will the fix for the other standby issues I have read about in the forum fix this issue as well?

I’m with fizze — that sounds like a dhcp issue.

Do you have an option in your router to have dhcp reservations? Some routers let you ensure that you always get the same IP address from your machine every time you boot or come out of standby. Might be worth looking at.

Another thing you could try would be using a static IP address rather than a DHCP address.

That might get you somewhere, too.

— Ron

macollin
    Participant

I believe I am using the DHCP reservations. I have an IP setup for the Soundbridge in something called “Static DHCP Client List”. I have tried adding it to this list and removing from this list with the same result.

Do you recommend I go one step further and force the static IP with the Soundbridge? Also, doesn’t it seem funky that the Internet Radio piece works fine regardless and that it is just the media server side that seems to hiccuup coming out of standby, or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help.

fizze
    Participant

well, its not the soundbridge, but the PC that should have a static IP as well 😉

assume that the soundbridge “sees” firefly with IP 1, then the PC goes to hibernate, after it wakes up it gets the IP 7. The soundbridge still “sees” something via multicasts or whatever, but then it gets weird. 😉 🙄

macollin
    Participant

I see, that makes sense.

I do have my PC logged in the “Static DHCP Client List” of my router as well.

So, the other strange thing to me is why does it initially connect to Firefly, play for ~1 minute and then start failing. Is that still representative of a DHCP problem?

fizze
    Participant

I think so. Well, maybe the router has a problem with hibernation of the PC? *shrug*

Im out of options here, since I dont have any experience with hibernating windoze.

btw what router/firmware are you running?

macollin
    Participant

Thanks for the effort.

I’m using a D-link DI-624. Not sure of the firm (as I’m at work), but I believe I updated June of this year.

fizze
    Participant

well, D-Link are generally sucky (imho), netgear are better, while linksys/cisco are the way to go (ymmv)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.