Is edgy version compiled with flac?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DeadPoet
    Participant

Just wanted to know if the edgy-nightly is configured with flac and ogg turned on. If not – can I redo this somehow without the need to recompile the whole thing?

mas
    Participant

Recompiling is relatively fast even on an NSLU however. ca. 10 minutes.

The biggest hassle is getting the dependencies installed, then a simple ./configure –help will tell you which you can enable all and then run configure with the right options plus a make install and thats it.

DeadPoet
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your quick response.
    I’ll try recompiling it tomorrow – hope it will still work then πŸ˜‰
    Will recompiling overwrite all the old stuff (e.g. config file) or just the binary? I only used precompiled packages via apt-get before, never compiled anything for myself πŸ˜‰

mas
    Participant

If you use –prefix=/usr in the configure then it should overwrite most stuff. Thats how I did it. I also first installed it from the deb package and then later compiled over it.

Please note that most likely some of the flac, ogg, avahi and so dev packets will be missing. You need to install em first with the packet management system. But if you forget then the configure will complain and remind you, provided you used the proper –enable-xxx flags to include the stuff you want in.

rpedde
    Participant

@DeadPoet wrote:

Just wanted to know if the edgy-nightly is configured with flac and ogg turned on. If not – can I redo this somehow without the need to recompile the whole thing?

Should be. Put a flac or ogg in the library. If you see full metadata, then yeah, it’s turned on. But I believe it is.

— Ron

DeadPoet
    Participant

Hey Ron!

At least in the latest nightly (the one where it wasn’T built against avahi) it does not work with flacs. I just don’t have an ogg here to try it. Maybe I’ll find some later πŸ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@DeadPoet wrote:

Hey Ron!

At least in the latest nightly (the one where it wasn’T built against avahi) it does not work with flacs. I just don’t have an ogg here to try it. Maybe I’ll find some later πŸ™‚

Okay. I’ll check my build stuff for that. Sure thought it did. Hrm.

— Ron

DeadPoet
    Participant

Hey Ron!

i rechecked it – it was an error. The ogg and flac files were not in my config file. It still won’t play them in iTunes (doesn’t transcode them) but I will look intot hat after a business trip I have to take. Probably next weekend.
    So, no need to worry about your build stuff so far πŸ˜‰

DeadPoet
    Participant

Ah, what the heck. It WAS my fault. Sorry. Hadn’t installed vorbis-tools. Sometimes this linux-thing gets over my head – although it’s just plain simple logic. Grm. Flac and Ogg work now. Thanks alot for listening πŸ˜‰

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.