interaction between iTunes and Firefly

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion interaction between iTunes and Firefly

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    schro20
    Participant

I am about to install Firefly on a NAS to avoid having to have my PC turned on to listen to music on my Roku(s).

I use iTunes on my desktop and purchase songs as well. I’d like to continue to do this and of course make sure that Firefly sees the music. I understand that I can make Firefly appear to iTunes as just another iTunes library on my local network. I don’t know that that will allow me to store new songs into this “remote iTunes library”.

What’s the cleanest way to do this? Do I tell iTunes on my PC to connect to this share? Or do I move my entire iTunes library to the NAS and then let iTunes on my PC just look at that as a share while Firefly will advertise it to the Roku(s)?

rpedde
    Participant

@schro20 wrote:

What’s the cleanest way to do this? Do I tell iTunes on my PC to connect to this share? Or do I move my entire iTunes library to the NAS and then let iTunes on my PC just look at that as a share while Firefly will advertise it to the Roku(s)?

There are many ways to do it. One way would be to make a share on the nas (“music”, maybe?) and do a right-click -> properties and set your “My Music” to point to that share (\servermusic).

Another way would be to map that drive (M:, maybe), configure iTunes to store music on M: rather than “My Music”, and then just rip and transfer stuff to iTunes as normal.

Another way (and the way I use it), is to continue to store music on your computer, but synchronize the music folder with the nas when you add new music. That way, the nas advertises the music all the time, even when the pc is off, but it also acts as a backup.

On my mac, I use rsync, but you might be able to use Unison for windows syncronization. Initial sync takes some time, but after that it isn’t bad.

— Ron

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.