Installing Firefly on DLink DSM-G600

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Installing Firefly on DLink DSM-G600

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SirAiwa
    Participant

I’ve even ordered a NLSU2, because I though it was impossible to run Firefly on the DSM-G600 unit. Googling some more has shown that is not true, but there is few documentation available. So I’d like to start this thread to get your help and later have a proper wiki page for the subject.

So far:

– I’ve learned that the G600 can run additional software when it initializes. It looks for a batch file named FUN_PLUG on a certain directory, and if such exists, will execute its commands.

– Creating a FUN_PLUG and copying to the proper root is easy. Simply enable FTP on the G600 web admin pages, then FTP the unit. Change dir to HD_a2, and copy the FUN_PLUG file there (FTP command PUT).

– This file’s attributes must be changed to executable. Do that by commanding ‘chmod 777 fun_plug’ on the FTP. Windows ftp program does not have the chmod command, you shall type ‘quote site chmod 777 fun_plug’ instead.

– I know no blab about linux scripting/batch. At this point I just used a fun_plug example for testing, which is supposed to create an output file on the folder when the script runs. It’s does what it’s supposed to.

– Now I have to:
    — Copy Firefly to the proper folder in the G600 drive
    — Extract the files and change the appropriate config parameters
    — Add lines to the fun_plug script in order to make firefly run

The fun_plug needed lines can be seen at
    http://dsmg600.info/howto:firefly

*** At this point I still have no clue on how to extract files inside the DLink unit. Also I don’t know if there is a more convenient packing of Firefly to be used for this (I am assuming the .tar.gz will be it).

So help will be appreciated for:
    – How do I unpack the files inside the G600?
    – Which is the most convenient packing?
    – Any hints as for reccomended configurations?

Thanks in advance!

SirAiwa
    Participant

Another couple of hours spent getting nowhere…

First, a reminder: you won’t be able to edit the fun_plug file on your windows computer with ‘normal’ editors. The file must be edited on unix format. I used http://www.vim.org editor for that.

Next: I believe I’ll have to enable telnet on the DSM. There’s a wiki howto on the same site as the previous post. That one worked perfectly, so now I can Telnet onto my dlink (whatever good that is for).

Any further help will be appreciated, or I’ll keep posting in about a week…

rpedde
    Participant

@SirAiwa wrote:

Another couple of hours spent getting nowhere…

First, a reminder: you won’t be able to edit the fun_plug file on your windows computer with ‘normal’ editors. The file must be edited on unix format. I used http://www.vim.org editor for that.

Next: I believe I’ll have to enable telnet on the DSM. There’s a wiki howto on the same site as the previous post. That one worked perfectly, so now I can Telnet onto my dlink (whatever good that is for).

Any further help will be appreciated, or I’ll keep posting in about a week…

You’ll probably get farther using “putty” for telnet rather than the built-in telnet program, so do check that out.

Also, you can use a windows editor, just have to use one that will do different line endings. On windows, I use PSPad, because it supports windows, mac and unix line endings, as well as different encoding styles. Notepad++ will do multiple line-endings as well, so if you are anti-vi (as I am), then you can use a nicer editor and still edit unix-style files.

As far as the dlink goes, I can’t help much — I don’t have one, or have access to one. Hopefully someone else around here can offer more help.

If you do end up with a slug, there are lots of people here that can help you get set up.

Good luck either way.

— Ron

SirAiwa
    Participant

Thanks Ron!

I’ll check the other editors (indeed that vi is quite ugly, looks like the old Apple-IIe editors I used to play with, back at the stone age). As for telnet, this is the first time I’ve ever telnetted anything, so I have no clue yet what is better than what, but I appreciate the hints.

Sooner or later I will make the dlink do the job, I’m sure. And will share the recipe here. Maybe you could help me getting a few steps back (or pointing me to a forum post about that):

I’m still not sure what I have to do to make ffs work, being a linux ignorant. Trying to do a Win comparison: do I have to install something, simply run an executable file from that batch fun_plug, get the linux on the dlink run a service…? Again just point me to some adequate posts if you can, and some pretty good time will be saved.

Cheers,

Bruno.

rpedde
    Participant

@SirAiwa wrote:

I’m still not sure what I have to do to make ffs work, being a linux ignorant. Trying to do a Win comparison: do I have to install something, simply run an executable file from that batch fun_plug, get the linux on the dlink run a service…? Again just point me to some adequate posts if you can, and some pretty good time will be saved.

Seems like the fun_plug is essentially a script that gets run on startup. Folks use it (apparently) to start non-sanctioned stuff on the machine (like firefly).

Here: http://dsmg600.info/howto:firefly seems to be a HOWTO on installing the older stable version (0.2.4). Didn’t see anything on a version of nightlies, but it looks like there are at least some people on the dsm lists that are interested in getting unslung optware running on it, and once that happens, then you’ll be able to easily install anything.

Also, this: http://forum.dsmg600.info/
    looks to be the best place for asking questions about the dsm-g600.

— Ron

SirAiwa
    Participant

Wow, am I getting p#s##d or what?

Ron, you’re right about fun_plug, it’s a startup script.

I had checked that link howto:firefly before. It tells me to add, among other lines, the following line to the startup script:

/mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

Again I don’t know much about Linux, but it apparently tells the system to run something named mt-daapd that exists on the HD_a2/mt-daapd folder – and pass additional parameters to the program. Is that correct?

Well, from all packages that I tried either on the nightlies or on the old stable 0.2.4, there is nothing named mtdaap on that directory to be ran.

What stupidity am I doing???

rpedde
    Participant

@SirAiwa wrote:

/mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

Again I don’t know much about Linux, but it apparently tells the system to run something named mt-daapd that exists on the HD_a2/mt-daapd folder – and pass additional parameters to the program. Is that correct?

Exactly right. /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf should be the configuration file., so that file should exist also.

Well, from all packages that I tried either on the nightlies or on the old stable 0.2.4, there is nothing named mtdaap on that directory to be ran.

What stupidity am I doing???

The instructions for extracting it look kind of lame. Download the mt-daapd-0.2.4.tar.bz2 file from the bottom of the howto page, and put it somewhere on the dsm that you can find it from the linux side. Once you have that, you need to extract it, something like this:

mkdir /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd
    cd /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd
    /mnt/HD_a2/bzcat /path/to/mt-daapd-0.2.4.tar.bz2 | /mnt/HD_a2/tar -xvf -

That should put the files where they are expected.

Then follow the fun_plug directions listed on the rest of the page.

— Ron

SirAiwa
    Participant

Some new attempts:

I downloaded the mt-daapd 0.2.4 from the DSM-G600 forum site. Extracted to the proper folder HD_a2/mt-daapd.

The I tried to follow the step by step commands manually via telnet. Here are the results:

BusyBox v1.2.1 (2006.08.16-19:37+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

# mkdir -p /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/cache
    # ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/libz.so.1 /lib/
    ln: /lib/libz.so.1: File exists
    # ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/libgdbm.so.3 /lib/
    ln: /lib/libgdbm.so.3: File exists
    # ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/libid3tag.so.0 /lib/
    ln: /lib/libid3tag.so.0: File exists
    # /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    -ash: /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd: Permission denied
    # /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd -c /mnt/HD_a2/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    #

QUESTION: Those responses of “ln: /lib/libz.so.1: File exists”, are them correct, expected things, or has something gone wrong here? What must I do to correct it?

NOTE: At the Permission denied, I figured out that the mt-daapd was not set as executable, so I changed that file with chmod 777, and when I ran the command again, at least I got no error. So I guess the command went well.

I know it’s not fully working, because my Soundbridge does not see the new server (which I renamed on the .conf file to something like HURRAY so I would have no doubt πŸ™‚ ).

I also tried to access web admin pages via http://192.168.0.111:9999 and http://192.168.0.111:3689 (the IP is my correct G600’s IP – and for the port I am just trying the 9999 that works on my other windows installation, and the 3689 that appears somewhere on the .conf file). But neither works.

So any clues at this point will be welcome!

SirAiwa
    Participant

WOW!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!!!

πŸ™‚ πŸ˜† πŸ˜€

I should say “don’t ask me”… but a few minutes after my previous post, I turned on again my soundbridge, and there was a new server available.

I am finally streaming directly from my DSM-G600, all computers OFF at home. What’s working:
    – Web admin pages are OK. Initially it was not editable, but again just chmod the conf file and there you go.
    – Serving about 4500 songs. Apparently they are all there.
    – Browsing by artist, genre, album, worked fine.
    – Searching for song title worked fine (so many songs with ‘baby’ in the name!)
    – Changed the admin password
    – Changed the server name using the web admin pages

What I could not do:
    – change the web port from the web admin pages (it goes back to the original port number).
    – make a log file work (I’m not sure if I have to create a blank file first, I’ll try it later)

Hooray, the DSM-G600 is not that useless anymore!

rpedde
    Participant

@SirAiwa wrote:

WOW!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!!!

πŸ™‚ πŸ˜† πŸ˜€

I should say “don’t ask me”… but a few minutes after my previous post, I turned on again my soundbridge, and there was a new server available.

I am finally streaming directly from my DSM-G600, all computers OFF at home. What’s working:
    – Web admin pages are OK. Initially it was not editable, but again just chmod the conf file and there you go.
    – Serving about 4500 songs. Apparently they are all there.
    – Browsing by artist, genre, album, worked fine.
    – Searching for song title worked fine (so many songs with ‘baby’ in the name!)
    – Changed the admin password
    – Changed the server name using the web admin pages

What I could not do:
    – change the web port from the web admin pages (it goes back to the original port number).
    – make a log file work (I’m not sure if I have to create a blank file first, I’ll try it later)

Hooray, the DSM-G600 is not that useless anymore!

w00t!

If you change the web port, it has to restart to take effect.

The log file you should be able just to poke in there, but you’ll have to make sure it’s in a place that the server has write permissions to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.