how stable is svn1498 on NSLU2?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hpsenicka
    Participant

I am still running svn1050 on my NSLU2 because I haven’t been brave enought to take the leap with each of the successive nightly releases and risk breaking something.

Is the latest nightly (svn1498) relatively stable, or is there a prior version I should upgrade to instead?

Ted Harper
    Participant

I’ve been running svn-1498 on my NSLU2 since it came out and have had no problems with it – no crashes, no downtime, nothing not being served that should be, etc.

NB: I have the rescan interval set to 0 (so I only do manual rescans after I buy and rip a new CD), and my music is virtually all mp3 (so I’m not doing any clever transcoding or dealing with lossless formats).

I noticed about the time svn-1498 came out there were a fair few updates to the various Linux utilities on the NSLU2 (ie ipkg update then ipkg upgrade on the NSLU2), so if you are doing the update to the latest Firefly nightly, it might be worth doing a general update to the NSLU2 software via ipkg at the same time; I did and again it doesn’t seem to have caused anything bad to happen.

ted.h.

hpsenicka
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Ted.

I am using almost exclusively FLAC files on my slug, so there is some transcoding involved, but I would hope that is sorted out at this point.

One of my greatest concerns is actually whether I will break something during the upgrade, and the possible downtime this would cause while I try to get it sorted.

I suspect I am being too cautious, but I thought it would be prudent to ask before committing myself.

Perhaps someone can also advise whether the upgrade to svn 1498 can be accomplished in a single step, or is there a requirement to install any of the intermediate svn’s?

polson
    Participant

I’m running 1498 without problems, serving mp3 and FLAC.
    What you probably need is a update of de libflac:

1.) Update list of available packages
    ipkg update
    2.) Upgrade the FLAC package from I guess 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 or so.
    ipkg upgrade flac.

This should go without problems. After that you can install the latest version of firefly.

fizze
    Participant

Perhaps someone can also advise whether the upgrade to svn 1498 can be accomplished in a single step, or is there a requirement to install any of the intermediate svn’s?

Firefly itself can be updated directly from any older nightly, as well as from 0.2.4.

If you upgrade from 0.2.4, be sure to have the default config file overwrite yours and apply your changes again. The old config file isnt compatible.

This format hasnt changed since svn-909 iirc. (At least no critical changes)

hpsenicka
    Participant

Well, I’ve taken the plunge!

So far all is good!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.