how long does it take firefly to scan?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion how long does it take firefly to scan?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Boring
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve been tinkering with my firefly config. I have it running on an old 700 Mhz Celeron (128 MB of RAM) running Xubuntu. This computer is basically just a music/Samba/Cups server, but it’s pretty old. I had had the scan interval set to once a day, since I didn’t think I’d be adding music that often. But then I realized that my Firefly would serve up podcasts to my Roku, so I switched this to an hour.

So long story, short question, how long do you figure each scan takes? It seems like it handles it in a couple of seconds. I’ve got about 4600 songs in the database at this point.

Anyway, I guess I was just curious, and wondered whether anyone here would have any insight as to whether I’m running my old HP too hard.

Thanks!

-E

rpedde
    Participant

@Eric Boring wrote:

So long story, short question, how long do you figure each scan takes? It seems like it handles it in a couple of seconds. I’ve got about 4600 songs in the database at this point.

Yeah, it probably doesn’t take much time. I’d be surprised if it took more than 15 or 20 seconds.

Really, the only downside to scanning is if you have a drive that’s spun down and the scan makes it spin back up. If it’s the system drive, and it’s spinning constantly anyway, a little seeking won’t hurt anything.

Eric Boring
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply.
    By the way, I love the software. Thanks for creating it.
    -E

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.