how do you play protected Itunes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    saversc
    Participant

FireFly recognizes my protected Itunes songs but my Sound Bridge M1000 won’t play. Is there a “fix” for this?

Thanks,

Scott

rpedde
    Participant

@saversc wrote:

FireFly recognizes my protected Itunes songs but my Sound Bridge M1000 won’t play. Is there a “fix” for this?

Thanks,

Scott

Nope, there are no players besides apple that can decrypt fairplay. There used to be some hacking tools (hymn project, qtfairuse, etc), but I don’t think any of them still work.

More evidence for DRM to be considered anti-consumer, but little to do about it now.

saversc
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Do other services such as Rhapsody, etc have the same issues as Itunes?

rpedde
    Participant

@saversc wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Do other services such as Rhapsody, etc have the same issues as Itunes?

In this specific case, I believe the soundbridge will play rhapsody. But fundamentally, the same problem exists — you’ll want (at some point) to use it in a way that isn’t allowed by the DRM and be frustrated.

I’m hoping that the music industry has noticed that I’m not buying DRM audio, and won’t until I can get DRM free audio.

I may be holding my breath for a while though.

S80_UK
    Participant

@saversc wrote:

Is there a “fix” for this?

As I understand it, iTunes allows you to burn a CD with your music on it. You can then rip the CD and encode it how you like.

Another way (on a PC) is to use a program such as Total Recorder – it grabs anything sent to your sound card and allows you to save it.

@rpedde wrote:

I’m hoping that the music industry has noticed that I’m not buying DRM audio, and won’t until I can get DRM free audio.

I’m not buying any either – and here in the UK, if you want a whole album, the CD is often cheaper anyway.

rpedde
    Participant

@S80_UK wrote:

@saversc wrote:

Is there a “fix” for this?

As I understand it, iTunes allows you to burn a CD with your music on it. You can then rip the CD and encode it how you like.

Another way (on a PC) is to use a program such as Total Recorder – it grabs anything sent to your sound card and allows you to save it.

Remembering of course that you are losing quality doing that… quality you already paid for when you downloaded the DRM version.

@rpedde wrote:

I’m not buying any either – and here in the UK, if you want a whole album, the CD is often cheaper anyway.

/me nods. I have a cd exchange right next to my office, so that’s my thing. Still, I wish they would get it. I buy a lot more music when I can listen to singles or buy singles and then decide to buy the album. Their loss, I guess. Maybe with EMI opening up, the rest will follow suit.

bbjonz
    Participant

Check out DRM Dumpster. Slick little Mac app that uses CD-RW to write to CD, then import in whatever file you have iTunes set up for.

Joe

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.