Hardware platform overview mt-daapd

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

Since the hard drive within the Linkstation is not directly accessible (or it least wasn’t intended to be), I’ve not found any information on power consumption of a Linkstation with alternative drive configurations. However, I did learn that the Linkstation does not support drive spin down, so within that 17w of power consumption is an opportunity for savings. I’m surprised that Buffalo hasn’t baked that in. Perhaps with a new version of the firmware it will be made available.

I doubt they will ever bake that in. If they use a 3.5” harddrive (as they must given the capacities they showcase) then setting it to spin-down often is unfortunately a big trade-off with lifetime. You can ruin a 3.5” HD with spindowns in about a year unless its very carefully setup, which is hard. And as this would be within a 2 years warranty time that many manufacturers state, I doubt they implement that risk.

By the way, did you measure the 17W or is that an advertisement figure? I found precise energy consumption values to be really hard to find and sometimes overoptimistic. Unfortunately not many people look at this, so its often not advertised and if it is it may not always be true, because not many people check that.

That 22-30W I stated for my MiniITX I measured with a consumer-grade electronic watt meter as no values are stated by the manufacturer. Not accurate to the % margin likely but also not systematic “tuned” to look nice. I would bet if the manufacturers did give values then they would use “hand-picked” setups with stripped down options to give an especially appealing value.

Nevertheless, the 17W are quite good if they are right. Even if its in reality a bit over 20W its still good and perfectly in line with what the NSLU uses wuth such a HD.

A shame one cant easily replace the harddrive of a Buffaloo. It would be tempting to place 2.5” drive in with an adapter and then have a 10W unit.

mas
    Participant

@kellyharding:

If that is truly a SERVER case that this thing uses, then the energy consumption could indeed be frightening. Those are made to support HD arrays. Good quality but not nice for your wallet in terms of energy. Maybe you should check it once. A consumer grade watt meter is available at many electronic shops or “self-made home improvement” stores for house owners rather cheaply around 15-20 bucks.

Oh and you may have gotten it for free, but running it isnt free. It could easly burn 50 EUR/yr extra. With that a smaller unit would pay itself off within very few years. And while I can tell you a NSLU would liklely not be sufficient for your needs, some other solutions will also need only 1 computer and not 5 and be sufficient. Almost noone needs a “true server” for home usage any more. Memory and CPU power is abundant for server applications nowadays.

@edgecrush3r:
    32MB and that processor looks like roughtly comparable to a NSLU. That is to say good for a mt-daapd-NAS but a bit slow for most other stuff.
    Pricing similar to a NSLU. Software delivered with it I read not much good over, so likely very comparable to a NSLU. I would prefer a NSLU for the broader user community likely, but looks all rather similar otherwise. Just the HD is built in instead USB click on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

By the way, did you measure the 17W or is that an advertisement figure? I found precise energy consumption values to be really hard to find and sometimes overoptimistic. Unfortunately not many people look at this, so its often not advertised and if it is it may not always be true, because not many people check that.

A shame one cant easily replace the harddrive of a Buffaloo. It would be tempting to place 2.5” drive in with an adapter and then have a 10W unit.

I didn’t measure the energy consumption; I got the specification from the Buffalo website.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just an idea regarding power consumption …

Is it perhaps possible to run firefly on a pocket pc?

greetings
    ed.de

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a Firefly buily for the iPhone ๐Ÿ˜‰
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/31/stream-music-from-your-iphone-to-itunes-with-firefly-media-serve/
    And I can confirm, its working quite nice ๐Ÿ˜€

I dont know if there is a pocketpc port, but it might compile on other Linux based embedded devices (PDA/Phones).

mas
    Participant

Nice thing to use an iPhone. But as a dedicated firefly server a bit pricey. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a installation of firefly for

Fujitsu-siemens ams150

You have to install the so called NExt-firmware-extension that is provided by a group of forum-members
    on that forum
    http://forum.fujitsu-siemens.de/DigitalHome/viewforum.php?f=41&sid=929674cd13fa21134f5a955a5ceb756e

ed.de

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.