GTKPOD and Firefly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bbjonz
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have what I hope is an easy yes/no question. After setting up Firefly to run on my Ubuntu Server (on an old PC), and after moving all of my music files to the server, and after converting those *%&$^ *m4p files to mp3 files using a cool little program called DRM Dumpster, I have everything working perfectly. I realized, though, that with all of my music in this one place that I would need to figure out how to get music on and off our iPods from the server. Seems like GTKPOD does the trick. But before I go populating Gtkpod with the music on my server, I want to make sure that in so doing I don’t screw up what already works well. So, will creating playlists in Gtkpod ruin or somehow alter my playlists that I’ve created with Firefly? Are there any other issues I’m missing? Thanks in advance.

Joe

CCRDude
    Participant

I don’t know gtkpod, but I’ve been using Yamipod to fill my iPod – as long as you don’t try to sync that same iPod with the iTunes installation that is used by Firefly (if it all – personally I use Firefly standalone), no harm will be done.

bbjonz
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I’ll give it a go and see what happens. I can probably tell gtkpod to store it’s playlists in a directory not under my firefly music directory–that should work okay.

BTW, I check out Yamipod and it looks interesting. From what I can tell, though one needs to have Gnome desktop running to use it, and I just use Ubuntu server with no GUI. I use x11 in OSX to tunnel in and use graphics apps (e.g., firefox) when needed.

Joe

jtbse
    Participant

And yet another free, cross-platform alternative…..

http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/

๐Ÿ™‚

CCRDude
    Participant

Isn’t Floola just a rebranded Yamipod? Have read some comments on a Mac forum where it was announced that people found a lot of Yamipod things in there ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ve never tested the MacOSX version of YamiPod, but due to it being multi-platform, I always assumed it was X11 only (which is available on X11 and used by most multi-platform apps). Well, haven’t tested the Linux version either, since shortly after trying Yamipod on Windows, I switched to Rockbox anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.