Gnome Panel Applet

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Binary Jay
    Participant

I’d like to see a gnome panel applet that provides some status information, and basic control into the firefly daemon. Granted that is a bit off base from the main goals of the project, but the windows build does have something similar.

I’d be willing to build it myself, but I’ll need a specification on the public interface that firefly exposes (if any). I’m not too keen on relying on screen scrapes of the web interface to accomplish this.

I once built something similar for IceCast, but IceCast had a well documented xml interface exposed through the web server that when requested would return a document with all of the relevant status information. I’d like to see something like this for Firefly which would allow us to integrate it into all sorts of new places and eventually build a robust admin interface for the linux platform.

Any thoughts?

fizze
    Participant

on trac.fireflymediserver.org you find a detailed API doc for mt-daapd.

Yeah, such an applet would rock. It should be able to monitor remote instances of firefly too, if it follows unix philosophy.

I’m in the process of getting my build chain for the NSLU2 up and running – its far easier to plain compile for Linux.

I’d gladly assist you with a panel-applet. I do have zero experience in writing panel-applets though ๐Ÿ™‚

Binary Jay
    Participant

I have zero experience writing for the panel as well, in fact all of my development experience save for some small projects have been on Windows. Over the last many years it has been C# on the .NET platform.

Taking that into consideration I might look into the possibility of writing for the GP using Mono.

@fizze wrote:

on trac.fireflymediserver.org you find a detailed API doc for mt-daapd.

Yeah, such an applet would rock. It should be able to monitor remote instances of firefly too, if it follows unix philosophy.

I’m in the process of getting my build chain for the NSLU2 up and running – its far easier to plain compile for Linux.

I’d gladly assist you with a panel-applet. I do have zero experience in writing panel-applets though ๐Ÿ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@Binary Jay wrote:

I have zero experience writing for the panel as well, in fact all of my development experience save for some small projects have been on Windows. Over the last many years it has been C# on the .NET platform.

Taking that into consideration I might look into the possibility of writing for the GP using Mono.

I’d be willing to help in whatever way you would need help — adding apis, etc.

Just let me know.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

Well zero XP in Mono or C#, but some in Java, which should aid a little.
    I’ve always wanted to code a few specific gnome-panel hacks.

And I prefer the cold-water-method ๐Ÿ˜‰

CCRDude
    Participant

I’ve just looked into the communications again (have written a small tool for low-level daap browsing), I’ve seen you’ve already added custom content-codes, e.g. org.mt-daapd.addplaylist (btw, will you rename those to org.fireflymediaserver…. or keep them?).

So my suggestion would probably be to extend the /server-info page with a new org.mt-daapd.statusinfo container that would contain the information required.

Since that would need the gnome panel app to be able to parse daap output (which is really not that difficult if you don’t need that ugly Apple-changed MD5 algo), others would probably prefer some kind of XML (urks ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.