Flac and NAS devices

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

On my endless/hopeless journey to Linux wisdom I have now installed Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) on one of my machines => Debian Linux.

My goal is to get Firefly with FLAC support up and running on a couple of NAS devices, namely D-Link DNS-323 and Linksys NSLU2, as I’ve been told to build a cross-compiling environment and compile software myself with right options.

First (and just for curiosity) I installed Firefly that Ubuntu offers (SVN1586) on a Linux machine and got it running, but this is what /var/log/user.log says:

Oct 28 12:10:38 Ubuntu mt-daapd[11361]: *** WARNING *** The programme ‘mt-daapd’ uses the HOWL compatiblity layer of Avahi.
    Oct 28 12:10:38 Ubuntu mt-daapd[11361]: *** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
    Oct 28 12:10:38 Ubuntu mt-daapd[11361]: *** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=howl&e=mt-daapd>

What is Avahi and do I need it? What’s native API of Avahi?

My main questions, however, are these:
    – what is the preferred version of Firefly in my case? Nightly?, which?, the newest?
    – is there a simple and good “Linux Compiling for Dummies”-guide available? I really want to understand what I’m doing, not just follow the advice line by line.

fizze
    Participant

@A.E. Neuman wrote:

My main questions, however, are these:
    – what is the preferred version of Firefly in my case? Nightly?, which?, the newest?
    – is there a simple and good “Linux Compiling for Dummies”-guide available? I really want to understand what I’m doing, not just follow the advice line by line.

Probably 1586, since its rather stable.
    No. 😉

Just take a look at the firefly wiki, the configure-options are explained somewhere. I believe there is a nightly version thats compiled for avahi, though.

And oh well, as for Avahi-daemon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_(software)

The warning means you will run into problems when you run avahi-daemon and firefly’s builtin mDNS.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.