Firefly slow to connect with iTunes 7 with iTunes xml file

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Firefly slow to connect with iTunes 7 with iTunes xml file

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mrtropicguy
    Participant

I’ve got Firefly 1463 running on a SimpleShare NAS device. It works great when I don’t include the iTunes Music Library.xml file scanning in the configuration. When I include playlist scanning it still serves music, but it takes iTunes 7 about 5 minutes to connect to the client before I can see a list of files available for streaming.

Anyone have a clue why it is slow slow to connect when I am serving my iTunes playlists? Is it because I am using a NAS device?

ceckman

Not sure about the slow connection when serving iTunes.

I am interested in how you got Firefly running on the Simpleshare though. I’m currently running Firefly on one of my computers and pointing it to the directory where I have all my music files on the Simpleshare. I would like to be able to run Firefly right on the NAS so my computer doesn’t have to run all the time if I want to serve the music.

Is it a terribly complex process getting Firefly on to the Simpleshare? Would someone with minimal Linux experience be able to do it? Just wondering as it’s something I’d like to eventually try.

mrtropicguy
    Participant

It isn’t too difficult to get working. I basically followed the instructions at the OpenMSS website.

http://www.openmss.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Once you get a firmware with telnet active you should probably enable boot_wait so you can reflash your unit using tftp if anything bad ever happens durning future upgrades.

I added a symblic link to an opt directory in my firmware so I could install packages such as Firefly using the ipkg utility. I also added support for running initialization scripts at startup. I basically setup the firmware like the OpenMSS firmware.

CCRDude
    Participant

How large are your playlists? And how large is your collection?

I remember a buggy Firefly svn version (not the one you’ve installed, some time back, just for clarification of some time issue) which took eternally to load… which was back then due to the fact that it listed all songs under each playlist. Now with say 10.000 songs and a dozen playlists, it suddenly had to transmit 120.000 entries…
    That’s just to say that large playlists may take up additional time on connecting through iTunes (not sure why they do not download them just on request – the protocol would allow so).
    Since from the same NAS here, it works quite faster with a Roku Soundbridge, I assume it’s the way iTunes operates and the size of the database combined, not the fact that the NAS may be slow.

ceckman

@mrtropicguy wrote:

It isn’t too difficult to get working. I basically followed the instructions at the OpenMSS website.

http://www.openmss.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Once you get a firmware with telnet active you should probably enable boot_wait so you can reflash your unit using tftp if anything bad ever happens durning future upgrades.

I added a symblic link to an opt directory in my firmware so I could install packages such as Firefly using the ipkg utility. I also added support for running initialization scripts at startup. I basically setup the firmware like the OpenMSS firmware.

Thanks. That’s something I’ll have to delve into when I have a little more time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.