Firefly OS X Setup

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    NA9D
    Participant

Ron,

I’m coming over here and posting following your lead from the forum over at Roku. You said we should ask here about setting up firefly for Mac OS X while you are waiting to release the full OS X version.

So how do we go about doing this?

Thanks,

Jon

rpedde
    Participant

@NA9D wrote:

Ron,

I’m coming over here and posting following your lead from the forum over at Roku. You said we should ask here about setting up firefly for Mac OS X while you are waiting to release the full OS X version.

So how do we go about doing this?

Okay. There are several steps. In order to compile any package from source, you need to have a compiler and the build tools. You can get that from the XCode disc that came with your OSX. Just install those packages. When you get done, you should be able to go to a terminal and type “gcc” and it should respond with “gcc: no input files”, or words to that effect.

Once you have that, you’ll need to install fink. Fink has pre-packaged versions of lots of popular open-source packages for OSX. We’ll use fink to install the dependent packages for firefly. You can follow the instructions here to install it.

Once you have it installed, and have done the selfupdate, like the installation documents describe, then install libid3tag-shlibs, libid3tag, sqlite, and sqlite-dev.

Those are the mp3 tag reading libraries and the database libraries necessary to build firefly.

Now to build firefly. Go to the nightlies page and download the tar.gz file.

You can untar it anywhere you want, but I usually untar it in a directory called “working” in my home directory. Here’s how I would build the package from the terminal:

ron@mac:~$ mkdir working
    ron@mac:~$ cd working
    ron@mac:~/working$ /usr/bin/curl http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/mt-daapd-svn-1082.tar.gz | tar -xvzf -
    ron@mac:~/working$ cd mt-daapd-svn-1082
    ron@mac:~/working/mt-daapd-svn-1082$ ./configure --enable-sqlite --with-id3tag=/sw --prefix=$HOME

ron@mac:~/working/mt-daapd-svn-1082$ make; make install

Now it’s built and installed into your home directory. The binary is in ~/sbin, the configuration file is in ~/etc.

Go into the new “etc” directory in your home directory and edit the config file using textedit or something. You’ll need to change the mp3_dir to something more correct. Maybe “/Users//Music”.

Then, from the terminal, change to the sbin directory in your home directory, and run it in the foreground.

ron@mac:~$ cd sbin
    ron@mac:~/sbin$ ./mt-daapd -d5 -f -y

It should start up in debug mode, and you should see songs streaming by, as it indexes them. Once it’s done, then you should be able to see it from iTunes and the soundbridge.

There are other things that can be done from here, like running it in the background and stuff, but this is where to start.

Once you get to this point, I can guide you toward the rest of it.

— Ron

NA9D
    Participant

Thanks! I have X-Code already installed (I think there’s a new version that just came out – I’ll pull that from the ADC website). And I have Fink installed as well. I’ll try messing with it this weekend.

I see though why you’d want to wrap the nice OS X stuff around it to make it easier to install for the average user though! 🙂

eddieb
    Participant

I can confirm that the way ron describes work with xCode 2.3.
    I am building mt-daapd this way on my xserve since 0.2.3 and it works fine …
    I just have a different last step :
    sudo make install …
    To put stuff as root …

Eddie

rpedde
    Participant

@eddieb wrote:

I can confirm that the way ron describes work with xCode 2.3.
    I am building mt-daapd this way on my xserve since 0.2.3 and it works fine …
    I just have a different last step :
    sudo make install …
    To put stuff as root …

Eddie

I’ve got him prefixing to $HOME, once we’ve verified that works, then I’ll have him install it in /usr/local or something.

— Ron

NA9D
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Once you have it installed, and have done the selfupdate, like the installation documents describe, then install libid3tag-shlibs, libid3tag, sqlite, and sqlite-dev.

OK, I got the libid3tag items installed and compiled from Fink no problem. But there are no sqlite items listed. Where do I get those from?

Thanks,

Jon

rpedde
    Participant

@NA9D wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

OK, I got the libid3tag items installed and compiled from Fink no problem. But there are no sqlite items listed. Where do I get those from?

do a “fink selfupdate”

that should make them appear.

— Ron

NA9D
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

do a “fink selfupdate”

that should make them appear.

— Ron

HMM…I did.. Not there. I’ll try it again..

edit: OK. I did a self update again and this time forced everything to re-load. The sqlite items are there now.

NA9D
    Participant

OK. I have the latest version, 1130, compiled and installed. It’s recognizing my music library and has loaded the songs. But…

When I try to play anything from my Soundbridge, I get:

Bus error
    madeira:~/sbin jon$ Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    Aborting

So…I can’t play anything.

Also, I thought that Firefly was supposed to support all my iTunes playlists? But after connecting to the library, I don’t see any playlists at all. Is there a config setting for this?

Thanks,

Jon

NA9D
    Participant

Anything? The software isn’t doing much good if I can’t use it. Why am I getting these disconnect errors?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.