Firefly on NSLU cant scan music on FAT drive

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly on NSLU cant scan music on FAT drive

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rodney
    Participant

hi everyone, can someone please help me
    Ive just Unslung my NSLU to USB port 2 (labeled as disk2)
    Ive installed Firefly and I can get to the web interface but I have no idea how to scan for music on a drive connected to DISK1. Its seen in the NAS interface as Formatted (FAT16/32) and I can see it on my network \192.168.0.179hdd_1_1_1mp3.
    From reading all other posts and other forums it seems like they need to be in EXT3 format, is this correct. From what I can gather it needs to be in EXT3 format so that you are able to create users and shares but this is not available using FAT32 format.
    If its okay to use FAT32 what format do I put as the music folder in the FF config page as i keep getting Error: 500general:mp3_dir for all the different formats I try
    Thanks in advance

fizze
    Participant

sure, fat32 is as good as anything, if the slug can handle it, you’re good to go.

The tricky thing is that the internal path of the share is different.
    Try /share/hdd/data/public/ or
    /share/flash/data/public depending on which USB-slot you plugged the harddrive in.

rodney
    Participant

thanks fizze!!
    I ended up using /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/mp3 and thats worked a treat, thanks for your help
    hopefully I will be able to get a USB hub and run my other drive from it, expect to use /share/hdd/data/HDD_2_1_1/

fizze
    Participant

Why not use the second USB connector?
    USB hubs only support drives with a single partition, so be careful. That means natively slug-formatted drives wont work through a hub (not with unslung, anyway)

rodney
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Why not use the second USB connector?
    USB hubs only support drives with a single partition, so be careful. That means natively slug-formatted drives wont work through a hub (not with unslung, anyway)

Hi Fizze, I Unslung my NSLU to a USB drive. Ive already got two FAT formatted external drives with music on them and really want to keep them as FAT format. They are just 1 big partition each so Im presumming this will work okay?? I intend to put a hub on DISK1. After reading through many forums it looks that only a few hubs work, is it hit and miss when buying a hub for a SLUG??
    thanks for your help

fizze
    Participant

There is a list of known-to-work USB hubs in the wiki at nslu2-linux.org.
    I had a no-name hub that worked out of the box, too. *shrug*

rodney
    Participant

thanks for that, I had already taken a look at that site before (was so scared when upgrading my firmware I did alot of research) and when I looked there were only a couple of tested hubs and when I searched the were either no longer in production or not available in the UK
    I think Ill just take a chance, (and make a contribution to the wiki)
    thanks for your help!!

Gday21
    Participant

Big thanks to both you guys for this thread.
    Spent several hours and multiple coffees trying to get my MT-DAAPD working on my NSLU2 tabbing between windows (Parallel Desktops) & MAC.
    Finely found this thread, changed a database setting restarted the server after reading through your discussion and success (I think).
    I had to vary from the WIKI guide due to my own ignorance and had unslung to the Disk 2 port on the NSLU2. All worked fine and even managed the ipkg stuff after realizing that I had the wrong gateway IP.
    But could I get iTunes to see the DB of Fire Fly 🙁
    Not until I find this thread so thanks again.

Rgds

gday 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.