Firefly dies with "Unable to open database file"

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Firefly dies with "Unable to open database file"

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@diablodale wrote:

Mcafee doesn’t allow customers to define directory exclusions or specific extensions to ignore. Argh.

That’s brain-damaged. The only thing worse than scanning a database would be false-positiving it and corrupting it while “fixing” it. Norton used to do that pretty regularly to exchange servers, as I recall.

Strange they can’t do that.

Perhaps the firefly codebase can do a retry or have a longer timeout for the db file i/o to return while virus protection is scanning? Or would this happen so many time to make firefly non performant?

The sqlite2 drive retries for 30 seconds before it gives up.

What version of McAfee is that? There have to be some kind of hidden registry settings or something. I’m almost positive that ePO can push out directory exclusions, so it stands to reason there must be some way to do it on the client — at least with some reg settings or something.

diablodale

It’s McAfee Security Center 7.0.331. I called into McAfee support on this a month or so ago and grilled them over and over asking for config settings to exclude directories or create user-defined extension exclusions. He repeatedly said its not possible with this product.

McAfee does have an enterprise product which likely does have group policies like you describe. But it seems they’ve dumbed down the features soo much for their consumer product, that they’ve hobbled it.

I’m experimenting now. I turned off heuristic scanning yesterday and it stayed running about 17 hours. I’ve restarted the service and am going to see how long it runs again. Then turn heuristics back on and see if it fails on the 2nd scan. Want to ensure it really is McAfee since the behavior did change yesterday.

–Dale

diablodale

When I turned heuristics back on, it fails on the 2nd scan. But with it off, it eventually fails. But I’m not sure the cause. It might stay running 18 or so hours or up to several days. When I remember to check the log file, the log file says the familiar ‘unable to open db’

rpedde
    Participant

@diablodale wrote:

When I turned heuristics back on, it fails on the 2nd scan. But with it off, it eventually fails. But I’m not sure the cause. It might stay running 18 or so hours or up to several days. When I remember to check the log file, the log file says the familiar ‘unable to open db’

That’s unquestionably the virus scanner. I will double-check the retry interval though. It might be that I’m not actually retrying for 30 seconds. I’ll double-check that.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.