Firefly and olive symphony

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hos
    Participant

I am attempting to use firefly to share my flac music library with my new olive symphony. It seems to work fine in that it finds all the music and i can search by album, artist, genre. The one issue I have is that It will not play full albums. It i search an artist then select an album and press play it will play the first song but then stop it does not continue on to the next album. I have the same issue with music ripped to mp3.

Any thoughts? Beware i am a true novice and have no idea what half the terms are mentioned in this forum.

Thanks for any help provided

hos
    Participant

Started it up today and it seems to be working fine…… Go figure?

hos
    Participant

Now its not working….. its stopping after the first song.

Addtitional information I neglected to supply in my first post.

System: PC running windows Vista
    My Music Library is stored on the system

Firefly ver: 1.0 svn-1359

rpedde
    Participant

@hos wrote:

Now its not working….. its stopping after the first song.

Addtitional information I neglected to supply in my first post.

System: PC running windows Vista
    My Music Library is stored on the system

Firefly ver: 1.0 svn-1359

It will always do that, sadly.

I’ve got a patch from someone to fix that, and I’m only so-so on it, as it breaks other clients, and makes transcoding not work.

Can you run a -d9 trace of the olive connecting? If I can get the user agent, I can detect the user agent and set a “quirk” for that client type.

hos
    Participant

Are you a patient man? I’m an architect, the kind that trades in 2x4s and nails…….

What would the procedure for running and -d9 trace be? What’s a quirk?

I won’t be offended if you ask me to go away!

rpedde
    Participant

@hos wrote:

What would the procedure for running and -d9 trace be? What’s a quirk?

Gotcha. Go into the web administration panel by going to the “server” tab on the tray applet thing and pushing the button for the web interface.

On the left is a “configuration” link. Hit that, and then the link to “show advanced configuration”.

You should see an option for “loglevel” (or debuglevel, don’t remember which). Set that to 9, hit “save”, then try and connect with the olive. It will probably play the first song then die again.

Stop the server, then go into c:program filesfirefly media server and zip up the “firefly.log” file and email it to me at [email protected].

That should give me the info I need.

— Ron

p.s. Quirk — an eccentricity, or a peculiarity. In the case of the olive, it doesn’t follow the http standards right. It relies on the behavior of iTunes rather than reading and interpreting the headers of the web request. Which is fine against an iTunes server, but makes it fail against firefly.

It could be fixed, but it would make transcoding not work. A better solution would be to only apply that fix when an olive is connecting. Then it only breaks transcoding for the olive. That would be a reasonable compromise.

I have a “quirk table” for different browsers and players already. I’ll just add a flag for the olive player specifically. Although, if it doesn’t identify itself clearly as an olive when it connects (if it lies, and says it’s an iTunes client, for example), then I’ll have to find a different solution.

rpedde
    Participant

@hos wrote:

I am attempting to use firefly to share my flac music library with my new olive symphony.

Can you try latest nightlies? I think it may work.

— Ron

hos
    Participant

Hi Ron,

I finally had a moment to load the new version. It appears to be working like a champ. Thank you so much for sorting it out.

-Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

have been searching everywhere for some help on this and finally found this thread… here’s my situation:

i’ve owned an olive musica for over a year now and FINALLY got the thing on my home network (a wiring issue, not a technical one on my end). my main machine is a macbook pro running OSX 10.4.1. i have multiple PCs in the house as well.

the ‘promise’ of the olive was to have a single ‘component’ in the main audio setup that would provide access to all music files on any/all computers on the home network. that’s a BS proposition.

thankfully, i found firefly… which would finally allow me to stream the contents of my iTunes library through the olive. what should have been (and what was promised by olive) an out-of-the-box experience now requires an additional server running on my mac. so, okay.. and thank god for people like ron who develop things like firefly and graciously make them available to the rest of us.

but i’ve encountered two big issues that stand between me and what i’ve always thought/hoped the olive could/should do:

– i can’t play more than a single track at a time on the olive (whether controlling the component itself or via the web interface). this appears to have been hos’ problem as well. i’ve tried the latest nightly (1696) and earlier versions referenced in other posts on this forum, but with the nightly, i run into the “firefly is starting/restarting” message that lives on in perpetuity… and i’m unable to see firefly in my olive.

thoughts?

– i can’t seem to view additional music folders that i’ve added via the firefly web admin. i have a TON of live shows i’ve DLd from torrent sites in FLAC format that i’d love to stream through the olive over the main system. but the only directory i can see is the primary one i’ve set that holds my iTunes music folder (it’s on an external drive.. not the default mac-assigned music folder)

i have an olive musica 160GB machine with the latest firmware installed. i’m still incredibly disappointed with this machine and the false promises of its capabilities. but i own it… and i will make it do what i want it to do! (he said hopefully)

thanks in advance for any help… happy to post log files or whatever i can to facilitate a solution. i’m at my wits’ end.

thank you for firefly!!

rpedde
    Participant

@litmus wrote:

– i can’t play more than a single track at a time on the olive (whether controlling the component itself or via the web interface). this appears to have been hos’ problem as well. i’ve tried the latest nightly (1696) and earlier versions referenced in other posts on this forum, but with the nightly, i run into the “firefly is starting/restarting” message that lives on in perpetuity… and i’m unable to see firefly in my olive.

Yeah, you’ll need a newish version to make it go. 1696 should work, with some caveats:

1. You’ll need to turn off background scanning – change the scan_interval to 0 using hte web interface. (or the prefs pane, I guess).

2. To get the starting message to go away, change the share nam to something short (“firefly”, maybe?).

– i can’t seem to view additional music folders that i’ve added via the firefly web admin. i have a TON of live shows i’ve DLd from torrent sites in FLAC format that i’d love to stream through the olive over the main system. but the only directory i can see is the primary one i’ve set that holds my iTunes music folder (it’s on an external drive.. not the default mac-assigned music folder)

Flac is a no-go on the mac version right now. Too many dependancies to port over to universal libraries to make it go. At some point, I’m going to try and give it a go, but that’s after I finish the db stuff for a stable release.

If you have fink or darwinports installed, it’s easy enough to build a binary that will support ogg and flac, and then copy it into the location that you can manage it with the prefs pane. Kinda hackish, but if you want to try that, I’m game to walk you through it.

If you can get the first part working above, then we can work on the flac thing. Just let me know.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.