Does Firelfly uninstall cleanly?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hpsenicka
    Participant

I’d like to install Firefly (on Windows) for a few friends to allow them to experiment a bit… but before I do I wanted to confirm whether it would uninstall cleanly?

I would hate to install something they might have difficulty removing later if they don’t find it useful.

rpedde
    Participant

@hpsenicka wrote:

I’d like to install Firefly (on Windows) for a few friends to allow them to experiment a bit… but before I do I wanted to confirm whether it would uninstall cleanly?

I would hate to install something they might have difficulty removing later if they don’t find it useful.

I haven’t run the uninstaller for a while, I’m not sure what it leaves. The only thing it does that’s permanent on the system is install the service. Once the service is uninstalled, everything else can be simply deleted — no other registry entries are created, and the only files is writes or creates are in the Firefly directory.

It’s pretty well behaved. That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if it left some cruft in the firefly directory on an uninstall.

I wouldn’t mind moving to a msi version of the installer, but building upgrade packages is a nightmare. I may take another look at it if I get some free time, though.

– Ron

macsband

I recently moved iTunes to a new Windows XP Pro computer. In so doing, I uninstalled Firefly on the old computer. Later (after some reboots), I noticed the (red) Firefly icon still on the system tray. Turns out that the uninstall deleted the service, but left all the files in C:Program FilesFirefly Media Server. I deleted them manually.

Mac

rpedde
    Participant

@macsband wrote:

I recently moved iTunes to a new Windows XP Pro computer. In so doing, I uninstalled Firefly on the old computer. Later (after some reboots), I noticed the (red) Firefly icon still on the system tray. Turns out that the uninstall deleted the service, but left all the files in C:Program FilesFirefly Media Server. I deleted them manually.

Mac

Good info… I will indeed have to double-check the uninstaller. Thanks.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.