Creating Playlists via iTunes: possible?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Creating Playlists via iTunes: possible?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sECuRE

Hi,

I have shared about 1200 songs via mt-daapd to my brother and father. They’re both using iTunes on a Mac and I’d like to know if they can easily create playlists without touching files on my linux server, but rather via iTunes. Drag & Drop in iTunes from shared servers does not seem to work…?

Thanks & cu

rpedde
    Participant

@sECuRE wrote:

Hi,

I have shared about 1200 songs via mt-daapd to my brother and father. They’re both using iTunes on a Mac and I’d like to know if they can easily create playlists without touching files on my linux server, but rather via iTunes. Drag & Drop in iTunes from shared servers does not seem to work…?

Thanks & cu

Nope, not really. You can make playlists on the server that show up on the clients, but you can’t make playlists on the client side using iTunes. Not sure why, it’s an iTunes thing. πŸ™

Xadhoom07

Hi,

so I never can make Playlists with ITunes at the Client?

Thx Xadhoom

rpedde
    Participant

@Xadhoom07 wrote:

Hi,

so I never can make Playlists with ITunes at the Client?

Thx Xadhoom

Not with songs shared over daap, no. iTunes will only make playlists with local songs.

I hope at some point to have a web interface to easily create playlists on the server, but it’s not there yet.

— Ron

tuc
    Participant

hi guy,
    it’s possible to add a folder on Itunes library without to copy it on local Itunes music folder and to make playlist?
    I added my folder from mt-daapt server to my itunes and I made any playlist from itunes client.

the problem was the playlists are in local and not in mt-daapt, but… πŸ™‚

ciao tuc πŸ˜‰

(sorry for my bad english 😳 )

rpedde
    Participant

@tuc wrote:

hi guy,
    it’s possible to add a folder on Itunes library without to copy it on local Itunes music folder and to make playlist?
    I added my folder from mt-daapt server to my itunes and I made any playlist from itunes client.

the problem was the playlists are in local and not in mt-daapt, but… πŸ™‚

ciao tuc πŸ˜‰

(sorry for my bad english 😳 )

Right, that’s the issue. You can only do playlists from local files.

So the way I do it is that I manage my music in iTunes with my whole library locally. I make playlists, add music etc.

Then I use “rsync” to synchronize all my music to the server — it copies all the changed and added files, etc. Once it’s on the server, then the mt-daapd server sees the new playlists and they show up for other people on the network.

The problem is that *I’m* the only one that can manage playlists, since I’m the only one that has the files locally.

To have a big chunk of files on the server, all remote to itunes, and have all those people manage their own playlists with iTunes isn’t really possible.

Now, they can use other playlist programs to make .m3u files that mt-daapd will recognize, but they won’t show up.

— Ron

tuc
    Participant

πŸ™
    Ron, I dont understand…
    I have many files in my mt-daapt server, I imported many folder from server to Itunes BUT without copy the remote files in local file.
    I made playlists in local with this “remote” library but the other network people could made the same, without my help…

For me mt-daapt server is only a big box where the people fish the songs
    In my mt-daapt server the music folder is a samba folder and it is usable from all the authorized persons…

Why you tell that other people doesn’t manages own playlists? ❓

Tuc

rpedde
    Participant

@tuc wrote:

πŸ™
    Ron, I dont understand…
    I have many files in my mt-daapt server, I imported many folder from server to Itunes BUT without copy the remote files in local file.
    I made playlists in local with this “remote” library but the other network people could made the same, without my help…

For me mt-daapt server is only a big box where the people fish the songs
    In my mt-daapt server the music folder is a samba folder and it is usable from all the authorized persons…

Why you tell that other people doesn’t manages own playlists? ❓

Tuc

Right, but as soon as you import them into iTunes, then you are using them like they are a local file. You aren’t using the shared mt-daapd server.

If you do it that way, you don’t need the mt-daapd server — in fact, you aren’t even using it. You are using the files you imported locally.

And that’s fine, it’s just that you don’t need mt-daapd to do that. And in fact, you can’t do what you want to do (individually managed iTunes playlists) with mt-daapd.

– Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.