Copy music to iTunes library

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Res

I’m not sure if this is a limitation of iTunes or Firefly, but I have finally setup my large share with Firefly successfully, and managed to get iTunes to load the database and stream the music (albeit sluggishly, loading a 400gb database of music eats over 100mb of RAM, nearly 200mb peak!).

My only pitfall which is what I originally intended to use Firefly for, was to allow guests to copy the music from the server into their own iTunes libraries for playback.

I’m not sure if this requires a copyright bit to be turned off.

Any help is appreciated ๐Ÿ˜›

grommet
    Participant

The iTunes client doesn’t allow this for the obvious ease in which content could be “copied without permission.” It’s no different with Firefly or iTunes as a server.

For your purposes, it would be best to create an open public file share. Remember to check your local copyright laws before distributing content. ๐Ÿ™„

rpedde
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

The iTunes client doesn’t allow this for the obvious ease in which content could be “copied without permission.” It’s no different with Firefly or iTunes as a server.

For your purposes, it would be best to create an open public file share. Remember to check your local copyright laws before distributing content. ๐Ÿ™„

Note that this say the “iTunes client” doesn’t allow it.

Also what’s the firefly memory usage? Is that 100mb? Or is that iTunes? I’d be interested in hearing how much memory firefly eats with a db that big. I would guess it to be significantly less.

— Ron

Res

Note that this say the “iTunes client” doesn’t allow it.

Yes, well the odd thing is, if you right click a track there is an option which says “Copy.” Apparently it doesn’t do anything?

Also what’s the firefly memory usage? Is that 100mb? Or is that iTunes?

iTunes itself uses 100mb of RAM to hold the listing, peaking at about 200mb during loading. Firefly never uses more than about 2mb after the files have scanned. While the files are scanning it can range from 6-20mb or so.

grommet
    Participant

@Res wrote:

Yes, well the odd thing is, if you right click a track there is an option which says “Copy.” Apparently it doesn’t do anything?

That option copies the track tag info, as seen in iTunes, to your clipboard. The same as iTunes locally. There is also a “Clear” option for local content.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.