Copy Files to Ipod

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cenobite

Hello!

I use mt-daap to share the music over the network and it works fine (iTunes Client), but i also want to put this shared music on my ipod.
    Is this possible?

Actually i run a samba server to get music from the linux server onto the windows client connected ipod.

rpedde
    Participant

@cenobite wrote:

Hello!

I use mt-daap to share the music over the network and it works fine (iTunes Client), but i also want to put this shared music on my ipod.
    Is this possible?

Actually i run a samba server to get music from the linux server onto the windows client connected ipod.

Not really. The best solution I’ve found is to have a “master” iTunes machine, and sync that up to the box that serves mt-daapd.

You could use rsync if it’s a mac, or unison or robocopy on windows to keep the master library in sync with the server.

It’s not a perfect solution, but its the best I’ve found, what with the limits of iTunes.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

Kinda offtopic, but alas…… *Shrug*

You might find ROCKbox interesting.
    Its a replacement firmware for the iPod’s as well.

Tons of nice features, and you can just fill the DAP like a harddisk.
    For other users http://retune.sourceforge.net/ might prove interesting.

๐Ÿ˜‰ [/url]

blue_94_trooper

I was under the impression that even when running unslung and Firefly on an NSLU2, I could also have the drive appear as a network share to my Windows PC and assign it a drive letter that could be used as for the default folder in iTunes.

Will I really need to keep two copies of my music directories to use iTunes for iPod synching and Firefly (on an NSLU2) for serving my Soundbridge?

Thanks for your help.

rpedde
    Participant

@blue_94_trooper wrote:

I was under the impression that even when running unslung and Firefly on an NSLU2, I could also have the drive appear as a network share to my Windows PC and assign it a drive letter that could be used as for the default folder in iTunes.

Will I really need to keep two copies of my music directories to use iTunes for iPod synching and Firefly (on an NSLU2) for serving my Soundbridge?

Thanks for your help.

You can make a share on the slug and set up your preferences on iTunes to use that share as your iTunes folder.

What you won’t get that way is your iTunes playlists and stuff (since iTunes will keep the .xml file in your “My Music” folder regardless).

If that’s not an issue, then yeah, you can do that. I don’t do it that way because I started all this on my laptop, and I didn’t want to be disconnected from my music when I had my laptop off the network. So for me, I keep my music library on my mac authoritative.

You can do it the other way, though, if you like. Should work okay.

— Ron

blue_94_trooper

Hmmm… now I’m a little confused. I used Twonky for a while and I know it was dependent on the XML file for all file (i.e. song) information, not just playlists (assuming you chose to use iTunes as the master).

If the XML file is not exposed to Firefly, how does it get the information about the song database? Does it build it’s own based upon the directory structure and/or the id3 tags?

Thanks (really… Thanks so much for all the work you obviously put into this)

rpedde
    Participant

@blue_94_trooper wrote:

If the XML file is not exposed to Firefly, how does it get the information about the song database? Does it build it’s own based upon the directory structure and/or the id3 tags?

Yes. If the iTunes xml file is around somewhere it can see it (above the artist folders), then firefly will grab the playlists from the itunes file, and also “augment” the tag info for songs based on what it finds (like rating, which isn’t in the actual mp3 file, but only stored in the xml file).

But it will run happily without the iTunes xml file. Mine does. ๐Ÿ™‚

— Ron

supergper
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@blue_94_trooper wrote:

Yes. If the iTunes xml file is around somewhere it can see it (above the artist folders), then firefly will grab the playlists from the itunes file, and also “augment” the tag info for songs based on what it finds (like rating, which isn’t in the actual mp3 file, but only stored in the xml file).

But it will run happily without the iTunes xml file. Mine does. ๐Ÿ™‚

— Ron

something else you can do to trick iTunes is to create an Alias (or sym link) of the iTunes folder that has all your music in it (somewhere on the network is fine) then copy that Alias to your Music folder on your local machine and point iTunes to that folder as your local music folder. If you do it correctly it will use the .xml file in that alias and you can share it between multiple users. Benefit of this is your library list is automatically updated anytime anyone updates their library with new songs or removes songs. If you don’t point it to the alias then you will have to manually update the library anytime you want the current library info. (hope this makes sense)

orphee

Hi,
    are you aware of a project (using Lsong, Amarok and Banshee functionnalities) that help mt-dapp synchronizing with an iPod without the PC as a middleware ?
    Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.