Connections from localhost bypass admin auth

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests Connections from localhost bypass admin auth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    atmurray
    Participant

If you connect to the web interface from the machine that firefly is running on authentication is bypassed. Not sure if this is a desired feature, but if it is could there be an option to turn it off?

rpedde
    Participant

@atmurray wrote:

If you connect to the web interface from the machine that firefly is running on authentication is bypassed. Not sure if this is a desired feature, but if it is could there be an option to turn it off?

Things I don’t want to do:

1. Ship with default password
    2. Required editing the configuration to set admin password

So I set it up to access from localhost without a password, that way you could set the password, then access it from anywhere with the password.

I get your objection, though, particularly in a multi-user environment. How about this:

When no password is set, disallow access remotely, and allow access from localhost without a password.

When a password *is* set, only allow access with the password (i.e. disable passwordless access from localhost)

This is in the tracker as feature request #225.

rpedde
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

This is in the tracker as feature request #225.

Fixed in r1538

– Ron

atmurray
    Participant

Ah yes, I very much understand your reluctance with shipping with a default password. I think your fix is ideal, in fact it increases security as it forces users to set a non blank/default password before it is remotely accessible. The number of modems/routers with default passwords is scary!

Good work, cheers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.