Connection Issues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    don quixada
    Participant

I’m having trouble connecting to the mt-daapd server from my Soundbridge. Is there any way to troubleshoot or is there a FAQ I can check?

I’ll describe the problem anyway:

I’m using svn-1586. My wireless connection, while not great, is not the problem because I can connect to the radio stations. The problem is when I try to connect to the mt-daapd server I get an error message saying that it cannot connect. Sometimes I try connecting until it finally connects, but that doesn’t always work. Other times I need to restart the server to get it to connect. And most of the time, when connected it is very sluggish and drops the connection sometimes.

And yes, the server seems to be running with no problems on my computer. So, I’m wondering if others have had (and solved) similar issues or if there was a way I could troubleshoot.

Thanks.

dq

rpedde
    Participant

@don quixada wrote:

I’m having trouble connecting to the mt-daapd server from my Soundbridge. Is there any way to troubleshoot or is there a FAQ I can check?

I’ll describe the problem anyway:

I’m using svn-1586. My wireless connection, while not great, is not the problem because I can connect to the radio stations. The problem is when I try to connect to the mt-daapd server I get an error message saying that it cannot connect. Sometimes I try connecting until it finally connects, but that doesn’t always work. Other times I need to restart the server to get it to connect. And most of the time, when connected it is very sluggish and drops the connection sometimes.

And yes, the server seems to be running with no problems on my computer. So, I’m wondering if others have had (and solved) similar issues or if there was a way I could troubleshoot.

Thanks.

dq

Radio stations are usually a lot less bandwidth than the daap server. Bitrate on lots of radio stations are 64kb or 128kb. You could probably stream 128kb mp3s from the daap server, but the initial connection and library load has to be completed in a certain amount of time — the roku has hard-coded timeouts in it.

You can verify that it’s a wireless issue by connecting the sb wired as a test, of course.

I know people have had luck with inexpensive high gain antennas on the wireless base station.

don quixada
    Participant

I see no way in the mtdaapd.conf file to decode and stream as 128bit. How do I do it?

Also, of note: I’m not really having much trouble once the songs are playing– it’s connecting to the server and/or browsing the collection that is the issue.

dq

rpedde
    Participant

@don quixada wrote:

I see no way in the mtdaapd.conf file to decode and stream as 128bit. How do I do it?

Also, of note: I’m not really having much trouble once the songs are playing– it’s connecting to the server and/or browsing the collection that is the issue.

dq

Hrm.

Could you get a packet trace of a bad connection with ethereal?

I’d be interested in seeing that.

– Ron

don quixada
    Participant

“ethereal”? Sorry, is that an app? How do I install it? I use Gentoo.

dq

rpedde
    Participant

@don quixada wrote:

“ethereal”? Sorry, is that an app? How do I install it? I use Gentoo.

dq

emerge wireshark

Then run wireshark (as root) and there should be an option to capture on selected interfaces. Choose the interface that you are running the server on (eth0?), and start capturing. Then try and connect with the soundbridge.

Then stop the capture and save the capture file.

that will record all the network traffic and might help see what’s going on.

Once you have the file, let me know by email ([email protected]), and I’ll set up an ftp drop for you.

— Ron

don quixada
    Participant

My bad for not getting back to you. I fixed the problem, but it’s not the best solution. I found that the build (1568) is not very stable– almost every time I update any libraries Firefly breaks. It’s the ogg-support that disappears and the connection issues start. So my solution is to re-build 1586 everytime I notice an issues and the problem is usually solved (at least until the next time I upgrade some more media-related libraries).

dq

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.