Connecting to Firefly daap server via Ubuntu and Mac

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Connecting to Firefly daap server via Ubuntu and Mac

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tricky

Here’s my story. Im mainly a Mac person, running an old PowerBook G3 and Intel MacBook Pro on a BT Home Hub via WiFi. My 9 year old son runs his Windows XP box in this bedroom (which I keep away from). I’ve also got a basement full of old Laptops and Desktops running Ubuntu 7.04. I was fed up of filling my MacBook Pro full of music and sharing via itunes, so installed Firefly on the basement PC with a large hard drive, installed Netatalk to give me a afp file protocol for the Macs. I then dumped all my music to this and shared via itunes with the firefly daap service.
    I may be going round the houses here but I installed Network Beacon on the Mac’s that let me pick up the firefly stream in itunes. its all good.
    Now my issue is with a old Thinkpad running ubuntu and using Rhythmbox via the wifi. It picks up the daap server only when a mac is running Network Beacon. As soon as I turn the Mac off I loose the Stream. What do I need on the Thinkpad to make it pickup the daap service with the Mac being on?

rpedde
    Participant

@Tricky wrote:

Here’s my story. Im mainly a Mac person, running an old PowerBook G3 and Intel MacBook Pro on a BT Home Hub via WiFi. My 9 year old son runs his Windows XP box in this bedroom (which I keep away from). I’ve also got a basement full of old Laptops and Desktops running Ubuntu 7.04. I was fed up of filling my MacBook Pro full of music and sharing via itunes, so installed Firefly on the basement PC with a large hard drive, installed Netatalk to give me a afp file protocol for the Macs. I then dumped all my music to this and shared via itunes with the firefly daap service.
    I may be going round the houses here but I installed Network Beacon on the Mac’s that let me pick up the firefly stream in itunes. its all good.
    Now my issue is with a old Thinkpad running ubuntu and using Rhythmbox via the wifi. It picks up the daap server only when a mac is running Network Beacon. As soon as I turn the Mac off I loose the Stream. What do I need on the Thinkpad to make it pickup the daap service with the Mac being on?

I’m not sure. I’ve heard this a couple times, but I’m not sure what’s going on.

Is the mac wireless, or wired? Or both? (Both, I’m guessing)

And what kind of wirless router do you have?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.