Configuration page blank on browser

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SirAiwa
    Participant

The configuration page on my web browser appears blank, or empty. All the other menu items work perfectly (server status, about firefly, etc.)

Running svn-1539 on a WinXP-Pro machine, all updates installed.
    My first contact with Firefly was on svn-1498. This problem exists since the first installation. I did try to erase and reinstall a few times, even searching registry entries to eliminate any ghosts.

I have svn-1498 on another computer (which also runs WinXPPro same build), and that one works fine.

Images below showing server status page, just fine, and blank configuration page.

rpedde
    Participant

@SirAiwa wrote:

The configuration page on my web browser appears blank, or empty. All the other menu items work perfectly (server status, about firefly, etc.)

Can you run that in firefox with firebug loaded and enabled?

SirAiwa
    Participant

OK, just downloaded and installed firefox 2.0.0.3.

Even before I downloaded and installed firebug, the config page DOES show up normally when opening it with Firefox. It still does not show up opening with IE 7.0.5730.11 or Maxthon 1.5.9.

In this case, will it still be useful if I do something with Firebug? If so, I’ll be pleased to help, just let me know what I am looking for.

rpedde
    Participant

@SirAiwa wrote:

OK, just downloaded and installed firefox 2.0.0.3.

Even before I downloaded and installed firebug, the config page DOES show up normally when opening it with Firefox. It still does not show up opening with IE 7.0.5730.11 or Maxthon 1.5.9.

In this case, will it still be useful if I do something with Firebug? If so, I’ll be pleased to help, just let me know what I am looking for.

Hrm… so it’s ie 7, then? Gack. I’ll try and replicate.

No point if it’s working in firefox. I was just hoping to get debug info from firefix, since ie doesn’t have a javascript debugger.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just can’t replicate the problem, with my XP and IE 7 everything is fine. Do you have javascript turned off? The whole page is rendered with javascript. Is there any kind of error message?

SirAiwa
    Participant

Absolutely no errors, only a blank page as shown above.

I have Javascritp enabled, it was version 1.5.0_11 (quite recent), and I just updated to 1.6.0_01, but to no avail. Visiting http://www.javatester.org/version.html shows my proper Java version, which by itself means that Java is running.

I did look into each and every security/advanced option of IE, and anything that appears related to “enable my browser to show this, do that, execute this…” is enabled (basically I’m running a very dangerous browser at the moment…)

No firewalls on. No anti-addware, no nothing…

Still, let me know if I can help by any further tests.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@SirAiwa wrote:

I have Javascritp enabled, it was version 1.5.0_11 (quite recent), and I just updated to 1.6.0_01, but to no avail. Visiting

Actually Java has nothing to do with javascript in your browser. It’s just that the marketing people at Netscape, back in the days, decided to try to feed off the java hype and renamed their browser scripting language from Livescript to Javascript. And ever after we have to live with the confusion.

Could you in IE7 go to “Internet Options | Advanced” and under the “Browsing” check the item “Display a notification about every script error”.
    If there is something wrong on the config page the browser will give you a warning and show you some kind of error message.
    Remember to de-check the option after you’re done, otherwise surfing the net will be a major pain, the net is full of badly written javascript code.

SirAiwa
    Participant

Is this getting worse or what???

Just to eliminate any doubts:
    – reinstalled IE7 and tested again, nada
    – unistalled IE7, going back to IE6 – nothing again
    – enabled ‘display a notification about every script error’ and nada

(By the way, thanks for the piece of info about java x javascript)

I don’t have the knowledge to dig into the page code, but in case it helps, find attached the code I got by viewing source code on my browser:

Firefly Media Server

firefly logo

<!--
    Version svn-1545
    -->

The best open-source media server for the <a
    href="http://www.rokulabs.com">Roku SoundBridge and iTunes

<!--

-->

<!--
    1 Connected Users
    -->

Configuration

Your config file is not writable, you can not change anything using this webpage

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since it works with Firefox we can be sure the firefly server is doing its part. It even works on your other XP machine. Something strange must be installed on your machine. Do you have any plugins or add-ons on the faulty machine? I can’t think of anything that could be wrong. Sorry.

It is so much easier to resolve bugs that are easy to repeat.

SirAiwa
    Participant

Indeed, resolving something that you can’t see is a bit tough.

I’ll keep it here just for the record:
    – Since the first post, I already downloaded and installed svn-1545
    – I did erase all the browser cached files
    – I installed back IE7 updated to the bone
    (Of course, no success…)

There are no plugins or anything else that I can think of, that would cause this behaviour.

In my particular case, I won’t complain to run firefox, or even edit the config file manually, when I need to configure firefly. Let’s leave this topic alone and archived in case someone else gets the same sympthon in the future or figures out a suggestion.

My real music server is actually the other computer, that one where firefly works fine. And even that one will be discarded in the near future, as I’m wating for my already ordered NSLU2 to arrive. (So maybe I will have new, different problems, in the near future…)

Thanks again for the help, and I’ll be with my eyes open to whatever I can help as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.