Complete Newbie: Web Server, PHP, MySQL (Ubuntu-Feisty)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Complete Newbie: Web Server, PHP, MySQL (Ubuntu-Feisty)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    re2st
    Participant

I decided to upgrade to Feisty since I had no luck getting Firefly run on it (I gave up, thanks Fizze.. but I gave up on those..)

This might be a very stupid basic question, but I don’t know where else to ask. Do I have to install and configure all the Web Server (Apache), PHP, and MySQL to be able to run Firefly and successfully connect to it from my Soundbridge?

I remember I did install all those when I tried on Ubuntu-Dapper (and managed to show the PHP4 and PHP5 test page).

And also, do I need anything else besides all those and Firefly to stream the songs? Do I need to install stuff like Banshee or Jizora as the Media Player?

Thank you so much for the help!

Osik
    Participant

Hey,

I’m using Firefly on my FreeBSD Server. To run a firefly server u dont need
    to install all the webstuff, like Apache or Lighttpd (last is the better on
    *smile*), or php and so on. Firefly has a built in webserver. After installing it
    and configuring the mt-daapd.conf you can start the server and join the
    webinterface with the address of the service and the port which u set in the
    config file ๐Ÿ˜‰

Greetz

Osik

re2st
    Participant

Hey!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does it make any difference the fact that I’m using Ubuntu – Feisty Desktop version instead of Server version (you mentioned you’re running FreeBSD Server)?

Osik
    Participant

FreeBSD isn’t in my opinion no Desktop OS, you can use it, but it is for sure an Server OS. Thats why i’m saying FreeBSD Server. But in fact there isn’t a difference. It’s only FreeBSD *smile*

Back to your question: It should be no problem. Because the system internals are quite the same ๐Ÿ˜‰

Greetz

Osik

rpedde
    Participant

@Osik wrote:

FreeBSD isn’t in my opinion no Desktop OS, you can use it, but it is for sure an Server OS. Thats why i’m saying FreeBSD Server. But in fact there isn’t a difference. It’s only FreeBSD *smile*

Back to your question: It should be no problem. Because the system internals are quite the same ๐Ÿ˜‰

Greetz

Osik

True. The only real difference between feisty server and desktop is that desktop defaults to the “desktop” installation, with a graphical user interface and whatnot.

The feisty server installer doesn’t — it uses a text setup and defaults to a text-only install.

But you can run the same stuff on both, if you want — web servers, ftp servers, daap servers, whatever.

re2st
    Participant

Oh yay! I got it up and running!

Actually, Synaptic Package Manager has it and I just installed it from there, then go to my browser, type in the 3689 port.

I got a little issue though. I want to use all my music in the (internal) hard drive that I have mounted (and shows up on “Computer” already). I don’t seem to be able to do that. Right now, I just test out creating “mp3” directory within my user folder and put some files in it. They all play fine.

Is it possible to use directory on another (internal) drive?

Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@re2st wrote:

Oh yay! I got it up and running!

Actually, Synaptic Package Manager has it and I just installed it from there, then go to my browser, type in the 3689 port.

I got a little issue though. I want to use all my music in the (internal) hard drive that I have mounted (and shows up on “Computer” already). I don’t seem to be able to do that. Right now, I just test out creating “mp3” directory within my user folder and put some files in it. They all play fine.

Is it possible to use directory on another (internal) drive?

Thanks!

You can go to the web interface, into the configuration tab, and set the “music directory” from the web page.

You’ll need to find the path of the internal drive you have mounted… I imagine you’ll need to browse to the directory that has the mp3 files in and look at the properties on the folder to get the path.

Then paste that into the “music directory” field.

Then back to the status page and hit the “full scan” button.

If that doesn’t find anything, it’s likely a permissions problem… go into the config, and change the “run as” user to your username. Then hit rescan again, and it should probably go.

— Ron

re2st
    Participant

No. It doesn’t do anything.

I changed “runas” with my user name (the one that I use to log in to the system), and the 3689 page gives me an error. I had to change “runas” back to “mt-daapd”.

Is it because the directory that I want to use is on ntfs file system? does it make any difference?

rpedde
    Participant

@re2st wrote:

No. It doesn’t do anything.

I changed “runas” with my user name (the one that I use to log in to the system), and the 3689 page gives me an error. I had to change “runas” back to “mt-daapd”.

Is it because the directory that I want to use is on ntfs file system? does it make any difference?

It’s because the user that the server is running as (the run as user) doesn’t have permissions to the music.

Try stopping the server, then editing the file /etc/mt-daapd.conf (or maybe /etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf, don’t remember on feisty). Change the run_as user directly in the config file to be your user name. Then restart the service and it should go.

You might need to do a full scan from the web interface, but you should be good.

— Ron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.