Compiling worked on Asus WL-700gE, but transcoding fails?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback Compiling worked on Asus WL-700gE, but transcoding fails?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mumsoft
    Participant

Hi,

I have an Asus WL-700gE with a modified firmware from K.C.Furge. See this post if you like: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7109

Since I have bought a Roku Soundbridge I need a nightly Firefly because the stable version of mt-daapd of march 2006 is not compatible.
    Now I have been trying various builds but without success, so I decided to do it the hard way, and compile it (svn-1571). That succeeded at last, with –prefix=/opt –enable-sqlite3 –enable-oggvorbis –enable-flac
    I was releived after so many weeks trial and error.
    But allas, despite this post: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5979, transcoding ogg files does not work.

Actually, there is another problem: Firefly only sees a little part of all my songs, due to (what I think) is some weird naming of my directories, that came directly from the cddb. To eliminate this, I made a map ‘test’ and putted some ogg files in it, plus one mp3 file.
    The .mp3 is streamed to my Soundbridge. But with an .ogg-file the Soundbridge complaints it cannot play it, and quickly skips to the next song. Amarok on my pc shows the same behaviour.

In the log I can see:
    Executing /opt/sbin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh “/shares/MYV
    OLUME1/MYSHARE1/Music/test/08.ogg” 0 203.000 “ogg”
    If I try this myself with /opt/sbin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh “/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Music/test/08.ogg” 0 203.000 “ogg” > test.wav
    the file test.wav is created.

So, now some questions: I saw some posts about not working transcoding, but is it really still broken? Or is there some hope, should I do someting else that I am not aware of yet?
    I also see in the web interface: Bonjour Stopped. Is that normal?

I have come so far, I hope to get over the last hurdle with some help, because I have settled on ogg as my prefered music format, and around 8000 songs are waiting…

Regards,
    Marc

rpedde
    Participant

@mumsoft wrote:

Hi,

I have an Asus WL-700gE with a modified firmware from K.C.Furge. See this post if you like: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7109

Since I have bought a Roku Soundbridge I need a nightly Firefly because the stable version of mt-daapd of march 2006 is not compatible.
    Now I have been trying various builds but without success, so I decided to do it the hard way, and compile it (svn-1571). That succeeded at last, with –prefix=/opt –enable-sqlite3 –enable-oggvorbis –enable-flac
    I was releived after so many weeks trial and error.
    But allas, despite this post: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5979, transcoding ogg files does not work.

Actually, there is another problem: Firefly only sees a little part of all my songs, due to (what I think) is some weird naming of my directories, that came directly from the cddb. To eliminate this, I made a map ‘test’ and putted some ogg files in it, plus one mp3 file.
    The .mp3 is streamed to my Soundbridge. But with an .ogg-file the Soundbridge complaints it cannot play it, and quickly skips to the next song. Amarok on my pc shows the same behaviour.

In the log I can see:
    Executing /opt/sbin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh “/shares/MYV
    OLUME1/MYSHARE1/Music/test/08.ogg” 0 203.000 “ogg”
    If I try this myself with /opt/sbin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh “/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Music/test/08.ogg” 0 203.000 “ogg” > test.wav
    the file test.wav is created.

So, now some questions: I saw some posts about not working transcoding, but is it really still broken? Or is there some hope, should I do someting else that I am not aware of yet?
    I also see in the web interface: Bonjour Stopped. Is that normal?

I have come so far, I hope to get over the last hurdle with some help, because I have settled on ogg as my prefered music format, and around 8000 songs are waiting…

Regards,
    Marc

Edit /opt/sbin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh and set the full path to the ogg and flac decoders in the top of the script file. That should do it.

— Ron

mumsoft
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@mumsoft wrote:

Hi,

[cut]

Regards,
    Marc

Edit /opt/sbin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh and set the full path to the ogg and flac decoders in the top of the script file. That should do it.

— Ron

Thanks for your reply, it gave me hope. But adding the paths /opt/sbin did not help, I already had exported te right paths.
    Nevertheless, when I changed #!/bin/sh into #!/opt/bin/bash suddenly the problem disappeared!
    Wow, another small giant step…

But, although I had read about ogg producing noise and having updated ogg and vorbis on my NAS, it only still produces noise.
    Now, as I found out, it boils down on endianess in ogg.
    But what I have read about that does not ring a nice little bell in me.
    Maybe you or someone else could give me a clue.
    I have compiled mt-daapd, so, what’s next?

Greets,
    Marc

sollie
    Participant

Can you post your compilation for me. So i can test it also. I will help you envestigate, coz i want to buy a Soundbridge Radio.

Sollie.

rpedde
    Participant

@mumsoft wrote:

But, although I had read about ogg producing noise and having updated ogg and vorbis on my NAS, it only still produces noise.

Does this use the wl500g packages? What unslung packages does this platform use?

mumsoft
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@mumsoft wrote:

Does this use the wl500g packages? What unslung packages does this platform use?

Well, I am by no means an expert in this matter, but wl500g packages don’t work for what I know.
    I have followed the excellent instructions from K.C.Furge to tweak the firmware from asus:
    http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html
    As you can read there we use these packages:
    http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable

I updated these last week and got new ogg and vorbis packages, so I hoped the noise-problem would be over. But alas.
    Further I understand the Asus WL-700gE is a Mipsel little endian machine with a broadcom chipset.
    I beleive…

mumsoft
    Participant

@sollie wrote:

Can you post your compilation for me. So i can test it also. I will help you envestigate, coz i want to buy a Soundbridge Radio.

Sollie.

Hi Sollie,
    Have you changed your mind? I thought you hate buttonless devices…
    Anyway, I have posted my feeble How-to compile mt-daapd in ‘our’ forum here:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=55441#post55441

Have a go…

sollie
    Participant

LOL, The “Soundbridge Radio” has buttons.

Thanks for all you work.

Sollie.

mumsoft
    Participant

Hi,

After much effort I finally got music from my ogg-files with Firefly and the Roku Soundbridge.
    Just one problem persists.
    If the foldername of a directory contains accented characters, the Roku can’t play the transcoded ogg-file. If the same directory contains a mp3 file, there is no problem whatsoever.
    My directories are encoded in iso-8895-1. With convmv I tried to translate to utf-8 and cp850, but that did not help.
    If I leave out the accented characters, so that the names are pure ASCII, there is no problem. But I have more than 800 directories to work through, so I hope to hear a smarter solution.
    Until now I thought it would be a Roku-related problem, but now I see it’s rather related with Firefly Plus transcoding. 🙁

rpedde
    Participant

@mumsoft wrote:

Hi,

After much effort I finally got music from my ogg-files with Firefly and the Roku Soundbridge.
    Just one problem persists.
    If the foldername of a directory contains accented characters, the Roku can’t play the transcoded ogg-file. If the same directory contains a mp3 file, there is no problem whatsoever.
    My directories are encoded in iso-8895-1. With convmv I tried to translate to utf-8 and cp850, but that did not help.
    If I leave out the accented characters, so that the names are pure ASCII, there is no problem. But I have more than 800 directories to work through, so I hope to hear a smarter solution.
    Until now I thought it would be a Roku-related problem, but now I see it’s rather related with Firefly Plus transcoding. 🙁

Hmm.. i’m not sure if that’s an issue with firefly or with oggdec, which it calls to transcode. Then only thing I can possibly think is that perhaps it’s mangling the file name when it does shell escapes.

Can you email me the name of a bad folder in utf-8 format, so I can try and create it in codepage and duplicate it?

You can send it to me at [email protected].

Thanks.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.