Compilation Directories? – What does this setting do?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Compilation Directories? – What does this setting do?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

In the Advanced Config for Firefly 1491 on OS X you are given the option to set the Compilation Directory.

I have grovelled around and cannot find out what this does?

Any ideas?

Thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@Busta123 wrote:

In the Advanced Config for Firefly 1491 on OS X you are given the option to set the Compilation Directory.

I have grovelled around and cannot find out what this does?

Any ideas?

Thanks

If you set a compilation directory (a substring match on the full path of a song), then it will set the compilation flag for any media in that folder.

So, if you use “/Various Artists/” or “/Soundtracks/” or something, then anything in a folder with that name will get marked as a compilation, and iTunes will put it in the compilation folder in the browse tree.

Also, you can set the ‘concat_compilations’ flag, and that will change the “title” of the song to “Song – Artist” when you are using a client that only displays the title.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks

Much appreciated

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can’t see to enter any file path that makes sense here. I am using iTunes 7 on a Mac to tag compilations. iTunes puts the albums under a folder called “Compilations” at the same level as the Artist.

All “Music Folders” in Firefly advanced config are set and working, but I can’t tell what to put into the “Compilation Directories” field. Does the full path go there, staring with /users/username/Music/iTunes Music/Compilations/ or does it just need /Compilations/ I can’t get anything to work so that the list of artists in the Soundbridge are consolidated. Group compilation = Yes in Firefly.

Please advise

MAC OS 10.3.9
    Firefly svn-1359
    iTunes 7.5
    Roku SB 3.0

Thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@cosecha wrote:

I can’t see to enter any file path that makes sense here. I am using iTunes 7 on a Mac to tag compilations. iTunes puts the albums under a folder called “Compilations” at the same level as the Artist.

All “Music Folders” in Firefly advanced config are set and working, but I can’t tell what to put into the “Compilation Directories” field. Does the full path go there, staring with /users/username/Music/iTunes Music/Compilations/ or does it just need /Compilations/ I can’t get anything to work so that the list of artists in the Soundbridge are consolidated. Group compilation = Yes in Firefly.

Please advise

MAC OS 10.3.9
    Firefly svn-1359
    iTunes 7.5
    Roku SB 3.0

Thanks

It’s a substring, so “/Compilations/” will work. You’ll have to do a full rescan on the web admin to pick it up, though.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the quick response.

Okay, I entered /Compilations/, saved, did a full scan, restarted the soundbridge and still nothing. I double checked that the entries that are showing up under artists are part of a compilation and in that folder on the HD and they are.

I have three music folders set up… would that make a difference? iTunes plays and burns from the “Users/Shared/Music/” and the user iTunes folders are set up so that the playlists register.

Any advice?

rpedde
    Participant

@cosecha wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

Okay, I entered /Compilations/, saved, did a full scan, restarted the soundbridge and still nothing. I double checked that the entries that are showing up under artists are part of a compilation and in that folder on the HD and they are.

I have three music folders set up… would that make a difference? iTunes plays and burns from the “Users/Shared/Music/” and the user iTunes folders are set up so that the playlists register.

Any advice?

Shouldn’t be an issue. You can make a playlist like “compilation=1” to see what items are marked as a compilation in the database.

Aside from that, look for typos or anything like that — make sure the directory really is called “Compilations” and that the case is right and all that.

Because it sounds like you have it all set up right.

They also have to have full metadata — like there has to be an artist, and album, and a song title, or it won’t do it.

That’s all really.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I made the compilation=1 playlist and it worked, so firefly will recognise the song as part of a playlist from “compilation” selected in iTunes, but it still does not group compilations together and there is no “Various Artists” selection in the soundbridge browser. I even copied and pasted the name of the folder so that I can be sure it is exactly the same with “/” on either side.

rpedde
    Participant

@cosecha wrote:

I made the compilation=1 playlist and it worked, so firefly will recognise the song as part of a playlist from “compilation” selected in iTunes, but it still does not group compilations together and there is no “Various Artists” selection in the soundbridge browser. I even copied and pasted the name of the folder so that I can be sure it is exactly the same with “/” on either side.

Then it has to be the scan. Are you sure you did a “full scan” and not just a “scan” from the web admin page?

I guess it’s also possible that it was broken in 1491.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi.

I definitely did a “full scan”.

Since I am running Mac 10.3.9, I have not upgraded to nightly versions and am running 1359. It looks like newer versions require OS 10.4+.

Thanks again for trying.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.